Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Live Action - All steps for Saturn planetary imaging with a dobsonian telescope and a ZWO224MC

All the steps i do to capture and process Saturn opposition from the beginning to the end. Since capturing with Sharpcap, centering with Pipp, stacking with AutoStakkert, enhancing with Registax and fine tuning with Photoshop express, this live action video has the purpose to help people that tried and fail because of the multiple software used on the astrophotography process. All the 5 steps are thoroughly and quietly explained without complications. It's not the perfect method but the simpler and easier i can do to obtain a wonderful image of this precious planet. Have a nice weekend!

• Like 2

Nice video, I like your production. 

Just a note on PIPP, when you use the quality weighting function PIPP will duplicate the best quality frames and add them to the video so that the video you loaded into AS3 actually had 70,000 frames, not 40,000. PIPP took the best 40k from the original capture and then duplicated the best 30k of those and added them into the output to create a monster 70k frame video which you loaded into AS3.

This has the effect of greatly increasing your file size and processing time for no gain.  As the extra frames are duplicates of existing frames they have no effect in the stacking process.

image.png.9afef7fb7ae57de398e118a5428a052b.png

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Nice video, I like your production. 

Just a note on PIPP, when you use the quality weighting function PIPP will duplicate the best quality frames and add them to the video so that the video you loaded into AS3 actually had 70,000 frames, not 40,000. PIPP took the best 40k from the original capture and then duplicated the best 30k of those and added them into the output to create a monster 70k frame video which you loaded into AS3.

This has the effect of greatly increasing your file size and processing time for no gain.  As the extra frames are duplicates of existing frames they have no effect in the stacking process.

image.png.9afef7fb7ae57de398e118a5428a052b.png

Thanks for the feedback.

According to Pipp they should help improvement. Once i made simulations and seemed to help so i use it. Not being totally confident about but the stacking time seems not bother me as i usually stack and go dinner or so. I also noticed the AS analysis graph disappeared may be because i return later for the results, i don't know.

Quality Weighting

This is an experimental function that aims to increase the weight of the best quality frames in the final stack.  This is actually a very simple procedure that can provide an improvement to some stacked images.  All this function does is duplicate the best 25% of the frames twice and duplicate the next best 25% of the frames once.

This means that a 1000 frame stack becomes a 1750 frame stack.  There is no noise reduction advantage to this but the best quality frames do have more influence in the final stacked image.

Edited by Tiago Ferreira