Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fireworks Galaxy HaLRGB

Rodd

C11Edge with ASI 1600.  30 sec unguided subs (184 lum; 371 Ha; 280 red; 318 green; and 303 Blue).  I fixed my mount issue - I needed to update the mount driver and the ASCOM platform.  I was careful not to oversaturate the image, and only used a very small amount of noise control...mostly for the background.  The background is still weak, but not as bad as I thought it would be.

Image14c7.thumb.jpg.ccd6ec2cbd3f5ae20d7eafa35ad9839f.jpg

• Like 27

8 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Will you redo/fill in this image with long exposures? It might help pull out more of the background.

I have to install the oag for that. I do want to do that, but it’s hard to forsake  a night of imaging to do it. It will happen sooner rather than later

• Like 1

Final sharpening and star saturation.  Also a very slight lift of the spiral arms.  Subtle difference, but a definite improvement.  I also flattened the background a bit without lowering the black point--which is about .06 in PI.  The background looks a bit muddy--as in brown, but there is a lot of dust in this region.  I guess not too bad for the sky conditions

Image14c11alt.thumb.jpg.c724fdc5e13d17d56fba8371b1479852.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 1

OK--I gave in.  i see that most quality images of this galaxy portray the faint extensions more brightly.  I lifted it a bit. I think I need to revisit this data and end up here sooner.  This was a modification of a JPEG--not the best way to process.  But I think it is telling me to go back and do it preoperly.....maybe even collect more luminance

b.thumb.jpg.906112bda710a07aed0a0478c00a67f4.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rodd said:

OK--I gave in.  i see that most quality images of this galaxy portray the faint extensions more brightly.  I lifted it a bit. I think I need to revisit this data and end up here sooner.  This was a modification of a JPEG--not the best way to process.  But I think it is telling me to go back and do it preoperly.....maybe even collect more luminance

b.thumb.jpg.906112bda710a07aed0a0478c00a67f4.jpg

Impressive stuff Rodd.

Nice one Rodd! 

I’m impressed with what you can achieve with 30s subs! 

I’m still stuck in the CCD mindset but maybe need to consider looking again at CMOS as I keep seeing lovely colourful stars being presented with ASI normally in the thread! 

Can I ask, have you always used CMOS? 

Cheers 

Bryan 

2 hours ago, assouptro said:

Nice one Rodd! 

I’m impressed with what you can achieve with 30s subs! 

I’m still stuck in the CCD mindset but maybe need to consider looking again at CMOS as I keep seeing lovely colourful stars being presented with ASI normally in the thread! 

Can I ask, have you always used CMOS? 

Cheers 

Bryan 

Thanks Bryan.  No I used CCD (STT-8300 (KAF 8300) for a while.  The only reason I got a cmos is because I was having trouble with the filter wheel and could not afford another CCD.  Today, the CMOS are awesome16 bit, front illuminated ...91% efficient....50K FWC.  I want an ASI 2600.  That is the largest I can get and still use my filer heel and 36mm filters.

• Thanks 1

On 12/08/2021 at 03:11, GalaxyGael said:

Lovely image, and nice detail delicately balanced. I'm just about to post a wider field (760 mm f/6) version of this region.  Nice to see what the detail look like up close. 

Thanks Colm.  You can get really good detail with a smaller scope if seeing is good.  There isn't a whole lot of difference between my 5" refractor image and this one as far as detail goes.  Looking forward to seeing your image.

• Like 1

On 12/08/2021 at 06:05, alan potts said:

Beautiful work as usual Rodd, I always see these and think of banging my 12 Meade at F6.3 on the mount or the 180mm Mak and then realised best left to the experts

Alan

You can do it Alan!  Especially if you use the Meade at F6.3.  That is a light bucket for sure.  This is not my favorite galaxy though.  I probably would choose a different one....but chose I would.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, astro mick said:

Image is great Rodd,but i cant get over how perfectly round your stars are.I know only 30sec subs,but ungided thats a feat on its own.

Mick.

Thanks Mick. I was surprised as well.  It has me thinking about wide field work, how long unguided I can go.  

• Like 1