Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Almost too embarrassed to post... but I need help!

Afternoon everyone.  As the title suggested I was almost too embarrassed to post this issue, but after reading peoples responses to other queries I believe I'm in safe hands.

A few months ago I purchased a Celestron Nexstar Evolution 8 telescope.  However, I am having difficult seeing even some of the 'easier' to spot objects in the night sky.  Despite several amounts and hours staring down the eye piece I have yet to experience as successful sighting. My biggest 'failure' so far is being able to clearly see the surface of the moon through the telescope.  Rather than being able to see crystal clear details (or even any detail for that matter), it is more like I have put my eye to the end of a torch and turned it on.  I have a range of eye pieces (8mm, 12mm, 16mm, 24mm and 40mm) as well as a moon filter but given its closeness in the night sky have have tended to stick with the larger ones (24mm / 40mm).  I have tried viewing the moon at different stages but I still struggle to pick out any detail, even cycling through the focus'.

I am sure this is completely human error, but is there anything basic I am failing to do? Perhaps anything during set up.  I'm 99.999% certain all covers have been removed and mirrors / etc are positioned correctly with no damage. Each evening I set up and calibrated the telescope (I have the StarSense AutoAlign). This seems to work well as the telescope does move to each object upon request (minor adjustments are required).

Recently I've also had issues trying to see both Jupiter and Saturn and have been out a few nights this week but to no avail. I'm presuming focusing must be the issue here and perhaps I need to be slower when trying to focus.

Whilst slightly disheartening I am determined to crack this and start to enjoy the night sky, hence why I am reaching out for help.  Does anyone know people who provide lessons for using telescopes?  I'm based in Leeds, UK.

I welcome any feedback, comments or advice and I'd be happy to try again.

Regards

Harry

4 minutes ago, harry4782 said:

Whilst slightly disheartening I am determined to crack this and start to enjoy the night sky, hence why I am reaching out for help.  Does anyone know people who provide lessons for using telescopes?  I'm based in Leeds, UK.

Welcome to this group. Join a local astro club and someone should be able to guide you.

But a simple advice is try your scope during daytime and see if you can view distant objects.

• Like 2

Hi Harry,

There are never stupid questions - only stupid answers! 😉

Anyhow- I don't have any experience with this scope but just my initial thoughts - how are you putting the eyepiece into the scope? That probably sounds silly but are you just popping it into the end of the scope (so the EP is horizontal) or are you using a diagonal in which case the EP will be vertical?

For visual work you will need to use a diagonal i would imagine in order to achieve focus. Again I am not familiar with this scope at all but you may also need to add extensions to gain focus as well as using a diagonal.

I will let others chime in though.

Regards 

Jon

There is a very large range of focusing available on your C8 scope, so as suggested try in daytime on as far away an object you can see and carefully turn the focus until you get it in focus. Then leave the focus at this setting, then try at night on objects. If focusing on a star, look to get as pin point an image of it as possible.

Hi @harry4782 and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

SCT focussers do require a lot of turning either clockwise or anti-clockwise before a target becomes focussed. As per @AstroMuni says, try in the daytime and it will be a lesson on how it all goes together, etc., when it becomes dark.

Also, when using at night, allow the OTA to acclimatise to the outside temperature, (remove the end cap on the visual back and point it up to the sky so any trapped heat can escape). It can take between 30-60 minutes once outside.

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

Try in the daytime as mentioned above, easier to see what you are doing and  you'll be very sure caps are off etc.

As above there is no such thing as a stupid question, I've seen this same thing in many posts over a couple of forums so you are not alone, I'd be 90% certain that it's just focusing is the issue, SCT's have a lot of focus travel and it can feel like you are going too far either way, don't worry it gets easier! Even my little nexstar 4se has a huge amount of travel, when focussing on stars when they start going from a big fuzzy blob and getting smaller, slow down until you get to a pinpoint (it may take a little backwards and forwards)

I'd recommend getting in touch with your local astro society which appears to be http://www.astronomyleeds.org.uk/ if you want some hands on help and advice, in general other astronomers are more than happy to help 👍

I agree with Phillip R, allow plenty of cool down time (my 127 mak needs around half an hour, yours is bigger and will need more ) and twiddle that focus control through its whole considerable range, eventually you will get there !

Once you have focus on a star (where it looks as small and sharp as it can be) with a particular eyepiece , there shouldn't be much,  if any  adjustment needed for viewing the planets. You might need to adjust focus when changing to a different eyepiece though, some sets claim to be 'parfocal' , which means no re focussing is needed, but eyepieces from different ranges/makers/types may need some adjustment.

Jupiter and Saturn are quite low in the sky at the moment, so may appear fuzzy even when in focus due to atmospheric problems.

Did you buy the setup new, or was it second hand ?

Heather

• Thanks 1

Hello Harry and welcome to the site. As others have said, leave it to acclimatise if you are taking it from inside to outside and try it during the day so you can see what you are doing. Stick in the weakest eyepiece you have (your 40mm) and try to focus on the furthest point you can see. One little thing you could do so you know roughly where you are in the focusing range is fully turn the focuser knob in one direction, then fully turn it the other way. Count the number of turns you make so you know where you are in the scheme of things. If you find you still can't focus with the focuser wound out as far as it will go, stick in a diagonal or a couple of spacers and try again.

Out of interest, have you found the resources/astronomy tools at the top of the page? Find the field of view, stick in the telescope and your 40mm eyepiece, select visual and the moon and it should show that you can focus on the whole of the moon, I would definitely use the moon filter.

Hope it helps and let us know how you get on.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Really helpful. I'll defo take the telescope pit during the day and try and focus (once the rain finally stops).  M40, just seen the field of view so i'll use that.  Weather looking good Tuesday so hopefully out again then and i'll report back!

22 hours ago, Jonny_H said:

how are you putting the eyepiece into the scope? That probably sounds silly but are you just popping it into the end of the scope (so the EP is horizontal) or are you using a diagonal in which case the EP will be vertical?

Hi Harry 

As Jonny above says are you putting the eyepiece into the diagonal or straught in the back of the scope.?

Hi Harry, 

As a wise person said there are no stupid questions just stupid answers. So I hope this one doesn't fit that category.

You say you can target the moon but can't see details, like looking down a torch, so I was wondering if the 8 inch slab of glass at the front of your scope is acting as a dew magnet.

I've had a similar thing with my 4 inch  Mak , thought I'd damaged something in the scope.

• Like 1

Hi , The Diagonal is a must for visual i believe , as a couple of others have suggested . Take your time when using the focus knob , its all too easy to quickly go past the "sweet spot" . Also , use the lowest power eyepiece . You have a powerful scope there that doesn't require high magnification when finding objects . It seems you are doing this so i am guessing you are not using a diagonal . Perhaps you could take a photo of your setup as it was when you were having trouble ?

52 minutes ago, Helical said:

You say you can target the moon but can't see details, like looking down a torch, so I was wondering if the 8 inch slab of glass at the front of your scope is acting as a dew magnet

I agree with Helical as when I had my skymax 127 maksutov that would dew up very quickly then I bought a an astro zap dew sheild and then no more dew. They are a must with maks and sct scopes. 

Edited by AstroNebulee

IIRC, Celestron SCTs have a little infinity symbol (∞) to indicate the direction to turn the focusing knob to focus on astronomical objects so at least you know if you are turning the focuser the right way.

The Moon is an ideal candidate to practice your focusing, even during the day. It's also good to roughly align your finder scope before any stars are visible.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the great tips.  I've been out a few days and early evenings to practise the focusing and it seems to be a lot better.  I've also made a dew protector (although i've order one too as i'd never make it as a presenter on Blue Peter!!).  Hopefully a couple of clear nights this week to get out and start searching the night sky again.

• Like 3

Welcome to SGL! I certainly hope things are working out and you are having some success with your scope, I would love to hear that you are enjoying it and being blown away by the views. As mentioned above, there is no substitute 

for joining a local astro club. Not only will you make some really good friends but, fellow amateurs will give you hands on advice which is invaluable.