Narrowband

M10 (Ercole) to Skywatcher steel tripod?

Basementboy

Hi, I'm looking at potentially fitting an Ercole with an M10 coupling to one of Skywatcher's steel tripods, which is 3/8"

Is that OK? The Ercole says it can be attached to photo tripods via the 3/8" thread, so is that basically fine? I guess I'm not quite clear on what M10 is

Thanks!

Chris

M10 is a metric thread, so you would need an adapter of some sort if you had a 3/8 thread. You can get Skywatcher tripods with M10 threads already fitted.

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/skyWatcher-stainless-steel-tripod.html

FLO I’m sure will stock these too.

Edited by Knighty2112
  • Thanks 1

Someone on cloudy nights reckoned a 3/8" screw (standard photo tripod leg section screw) will work in an M10 hole,, so if they are right it should be OK :

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/494575-m10-15-or-38-x-16/?p=6497952

I'm sure someone on here will have actual practical experience of if it holds true in practise.

Heather

• Thanks 1

I have a Giro Ercole mount. I've only used it with an M10 bolt, the same as the EQ5 / HEQ5 mounts use. I believe from the details published by vendors of the mount that the thread in the base is dual M10 / 3/8ths compatible though. I have not tried it with a 3/8th bolt myself as yet.

• Thanks 1

M10 and 3/8" are very close in dimension and thread pitch but are not identical.

However, I use my 3/8" threaded photo tripod heads on my M10 threaded astro tripods all the time.

Just be a bit careful when you start attaching them to ensure they don't get cross-threaded.

I've never had a problem with mine.

Hope this helps.

Ade

• Thanks 1