Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telegizmos 365 covers - can you reassure me?

My current rig is a Berlebach Planet tripod and an EQ6R-Pro standing on a thick concrete base. In order to save having to set up, polar align and then take everything down again the same night (especially at the moment when there is so little darkness anyway) is a pain. So, I invested in a couple of 365 covers from Telegizmos (one for the tripod and one for the scope/mount).

I tested the situation by setting up and then deploying both covers. A couple of days of quite heavy rain. Today it's sunny, so I took the cover off to check everything out. To my considerable alarm I found a layer of condensation on the mount (which I have to assume may also have penetrated the interior and electrics).

These hoods are expensive and supposedly able to provide protection for longish periods (hence the name 365). But based on two days' rain, I am not at all confident!

What do others think? 

unnamed.jpg

Are you sure it’s not condensation? Cooler nights lately and humid days can result in this.

Even if if is not rain penetration, regular airing is essential. And/or keeping the base open from time to time to allow air to circulate, rather that tightly closeting everything 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Are you sure it’s not condensation? Cooler nights lately and humid days can result in this.

Even if if is not rain penetration, regular airing is essential. And/or keeping the base open from time to time to allow air to circulate, rather that tightly closeting everything 

Hi Jeremy

Yes indeed. As I said in my post, it is condensation. The hood is not leaking rain for sure.

Nevertheless, condensation is still moisture right? Is this not hazardous to electronics?

• Like 1

Maybe you could wrap a big pack of silica gel desiccant to the mount underneath the cover to reduce the risk of condensation? Then un-tighten the base of the cover for ventilation and dry the silica gel during sunny days.

Honestly I wouldn't leave my gear outside unless I've got a shed obsy with a dehumidifier.

• Thanks 1

I have had one over my pier for 7 years now, and the NEQ6 (and now the EQ6-R) has worked like clockwork every time. Of course, screws and bolts have rusted, but I expected that. The silver insides of the cover have now started to fall apart, but it doesn't seem to affect anything.

So yeah, air it out when you walk past it, and you should be just fine ;)

• Like 2

Just yesterday I received a cheap cover bought on aliexpress. It surely is miles away from Telegizmos 365. However, I will leave my mount outside under it and sleep easy. Condensation will happen if no proper ventilation or temperatures are applied. Some people at CN used a light bulb under the cover for a slightly higher temperature and increased dew point temperature.

• Thanks 1

I would raise the cover skirt a couple of inches above the concrete to allow better ventilation. Concrete is very good at storing heat an then venting it which is then trapped beneath your cover. I have used 2 heavy duty bbq covers (total cost £45) on my equipment but there is always at least a foot between ground and cover, no problems with condensation, and as been mentioned by others give everything a good airing on nice days

• Thanks 1

I have left an EQ6 R Pro…..and reflector scope out for weeks at a time under a TG. Yes, it suffers from condensation but has no effect on the mount or scope as long as you air it for a while when you can. I think people worry too much about this, they are designed to be used outside. The returns for leaving it outside and actually using it, against ripping it down every night, and not using it anywhere near as much, far outweigh the risk of condensation imo

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. Most reassuring. I just started up the mount and it works just fine. I shall make sure I air it regularly.

44 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

I have left an EQ6 R Pro…..and reflector scope out for weeks at a time under a TG. Yes, it suffers from condensation but has no effect on the mount or scope as long as you air it for a while when you can. I think people worry too much about this, they are designed to be used outside. The returns for leaving it outside and actually using it, against ripping it down every night, and not using it anywhere near as much, far outweigh the risk of condensation imo

Yes, this is a good point. I am going to get a lot more use out of it this way rather than go through all the hassle of set up each time.

9 minutes ago, StuartT said:
55 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Yes, this is a good point. I am going to get a lot more use out of it this way rather than go through all the hassle of set up each time.

What I forgot to mention is that I put a coat of ACF-50 anti corrosion water repellent all over my mount twice a year. Just apply with a cloth (do not spray) to the outside of the mount and it will assist with repelling water and slow down any rust….it actually removes old rust as well, it’s electronic friendly 

Edited by Jiggy 67
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Jiggy 67 said:

What I forgot to mention is that I put a coat of ACF-50 anti corrosion water repellent all over my mount twice a year. Just apply with a cloth (do not spray) to the outside of the mount and it will assist with repelling water and slow down any rust….it actually removes old rust as well, it’s electronic friendly 

Pro tip! Thanks. Is that a bit like WD-40 then? (for older viewers)

35 minutes ago, StuartT said:

Pro tip! Thanks. Is that a bit like WD-40 then? (for older viewers)

Similar, it’s better, lighter, safe with electronics……and more expensive!!…but worth it. Just give the whole mount a good coat with a cloth two or three times a year and it will assist in protection from moisture. You should still air everything as much as possible and ensure you have a good gap at the bottom of the cover so air can circulate.

The way I look at it is, I could have a lovely shiny like new mount stood in the corner of the living room which I can admire from the couch…..but, because it’s so heavy and suffers from long setup times, I just wouldn’t use it….or nowhere near as often and I would still be sat on the couch wishing I was out under clear skies. By keeping it outside, set up, polar aligned and Star aligned (Synscan saves your last position and data) I can be observing in 10 minutes with no effort night after night. Ok, it’s life maybe slightly shorter (no evidence of that yet after 2 years) but at least I’ve had my money’s worth out of it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

The way I look at it is, I could have a lovely shiny like new mount stood in the corner of the living room which I can admire from the couch…..but, because it’s so heavy and suffers from long setup times, I just wouldn’t use it….or nowhere near as often and I would still be sat on the couch wishing I was out under clear skies. By keeping it outside, set up, polar aligned and Star aligned (Synscan saves your last position and data) I can be observing in 10 minutes with no effort night after night. Ok, it’s life maybe slightly shorter (no evidence of that yet after 2 years) but at least I’ve had my money’s worth out of it

Spot on! 👍

For anyone interested in an alternative to Telegizmos 365 covers, I have and can recommend a Cygnus Astro cover. I haven't owned a Telegizmos so can't make a direct comparison, but my Cygnus Astro cover keeps the water off and costs less.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would think that placing a small radiant-heater, like that for a chicken-coop, would be an ideal, and with an adjustable thermostat.  You wouldn't need a lot of heat.

Edited by Alan64

7 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Just ordered a can of ACF-50. Thanks!

I will also use on my bicycle 👍🏻

• Like 2

On 03/08/2021 at 20:33, Lee_P said:

With regard to condensation, I put one of these next to the mount, under the cover.

I wondered about something like this, but surely those would only work in a closed system? A scope under a hood is open to an endless reservoir of moisture containing air, so wouldn't they just be absorbing all the water from the atmosphere (and hence be overwhelmed)?

On 03/08/2021 at 21:37, Alan64 said:

I would think that placing a small radiant-heater, like that for a chicken-coop, would be an ideal, and with an adjustable thermostat.  You wouldn't need a lot of heat.

I don't have a power supply outside, so I have been trying to find a rechargeable, low power heater. But so far, I've not found one.

3 hours ago, StuartT said:

I wondered about something like this, but surely those would only work in a closed system? A scope under a hood is open to an endless reservoir of moisture containing air, so wouldn't they just be absorbing all the water from the atmosphere (and hence be overwhelmed)?

I don't have a power supply outside, so I have been trying to find a rechargeable, low power heater. But so far, I've not found one.

I'm not sure about the theory, but I had one under the cover and it took three months to fill up with water. During that time I didn't have an issue with condensation on the mount. Maybe the air circulation is good and the dehumidifier is just a placebo? *shrugs* In any case, I've ordered a can of ACF-50 thanks to the advice in this thread as well!

• Like 1

Ok, so I now have the condensation issue under control (thanks everyone!). Periodic airing on a fine day and I'll explore a little heater.

The only thing I think I still have one or two concerns about is getting the scope hood on and off easily without snagging parts of the rig and knocking things off or changing the alignment. With a big refractor like mine, the top of the hood is at 7 or 8 feet so it's a bit hard to manage (especially as the cloth is heavy). What do others do?

• 2 months later...
On 03/08/2021 at 14:58, Jiggy 67 said:

I bought a bottle of this stuff (thanks for the tip). What I am wondering is can I open up the two side panels on my EQ6R-Pro and spray some on the gears and electrics? I'm concerned that over the long term, condensation might corrode them and affect my tracking. Or would this cause slipping or other issues (I have the newer EQ6R with belts)

gear panel.jpg

main panel.jpg

Edited by StuartT

1 minute ago, StuartT said:

I bought a bottle of this stuff (thanks for the tip). What I am wondering is can I open up the panel on my EQ6R-Pro and spray some on the gears? I'm concerned that over the long term, condensation might corrode them and affect my tracking. Or would this cause slipping or other issues (I have the newer EQ6R with belts)

I wouldn’t spray it on gears, but they should be greased anyway. It is safe on electronics but it may create the issues you describe on gears. 

• Thanks 1