Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Good wishes to Steve Tonkin

F15Rules

As some of you will probably know, Steve Tonkin, alias our "Binocular Sky" SGL expert, has not been well recently, and for the first time in 10 years has not been able to publish his excellent and very enjoyable monthly newsletter.

I'm sure you will all join me in sending warm good wishes to Steve for a speedy recovery, and our thanks for all the excellent and enjoyable reading materials he makes freely available to us each month.

If you haven't come across Steve before, do visit his excellent website ( http://binocularsky.com/)  and check out his wonderful book,  "Binocular Astronomy", a superb resource for beginners and advanced users - and everyone in-between!👍.

Get well soon, Steve, and Thank You!

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Additional text info
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Thanks Dave I was not aware of this so I hope for his speedy recovery. I have met Steve and also he has done a few Zoom talks for my local Astro society.

I can thank Steve for introducing me to Apollo 15x70 binos which is one of my best purchases.

Hi are those Helios Apollo the same as the Delta Extreme I have a search going on Ebay for either pair at the moment probably get them around £200 hopefully I have seen these but dont think they are the same.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224527706129?hash=item3446e4e811:g:aw0AAOSwO-FgzL1Z

Best wishes to Steve hoping he is fit and well very soon.

Edited by wookie1965
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Thanks Dave I was not aware of this so I hope for his speedy recovery. I have met Steve and also he has done a few Zoom talks for my local Astro society.

I can thank Steve for introducing me to Apollo 15x70 binos which is one of my best purchases.

Hi Mark,

To be honest I only found out when he emailed to apologise that he couldn't do the latest monthly bulletin due to illness.

I've not had the pleasure of meeting Steve, but have had his book for years and love his bino reviews..factual, objective and completely impartial🙂.

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Typo
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, All, very kind of you. 🙏🏼

Not sure I deserve this fuss 🙂 - just an exceptionally nasty cold/cough (which initially, after nearly 3 days of almost non-stop coughing weekend before last, I thought might be Covid, but daily LF tests said otherwise). Just feel wiped out and sore (coughing > what feels like a pulled/torn ab muscle). Slept through the last two nights without being woken by a coughing fit, so things are definitely on the up! 👍🏼

And I've successfully calibrated a CCD camera this morning, so brain must be semi-functioning, at least. 😁 (TL;DR - Atik 414EX Mono has a beautifully linear response)

• Like 19

4 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

I have seen these but dont think they are the same.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224527706129?hash=item3446e4e811:g:aw0AAOSwO-FgzL1Z

Nope, very different. Those were the first of the 15x70s, before the Kunming/United Optics lot got in on the act; came out back in the '90s. Retailed for abut £140, if I recall correctly. Were better than the budget Kunming/United stuff (eg the Celestron Skymaster, Oberwerk,, etc). Nicely made. Main downside is that there is almost no "past infinity" focus, so you can't focus out even mild myopia but, if that's not an issue for you, worth a look, but I think £100 is too much to pay.

• Like 1

Interesting…. bought mine about the millennium and paid £140 from BCF. Nicely balanced in the hand, slightly wobbly eyepieces, otherwise held collimation fine (though they’re not used  much now).

Good to hear you’re on the mend Steve!

Peter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BinocularSky said:

I thought might be Covid, but daily LF tests said otherwise)

Hi Steve, hope you get well soon 🙂

Hope you don't mind a bit of friendly advice....I had exactly the same symptoms as you and also tested negative on the LF tests....still felt the same if not worse after a week so sent off for a home PCR test and guess what?....yup, I tested positive and had to isolate foe 10 days 😟

I would advice you to do the same just in case :thumbsup:

All the best,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 02/08/2021 at 21:31, callisto said:

Hi Steve, hope you get well soon 🙂

Hope you don't mind a bit of friendly advice....I had exactly the same symptoms as you and also tested negative on the LF tests....still felt the same if not worse after a week so sent off for a home PCR test and guess what?....yup, I tested positive and had to isolate foe 10 days 😟

I would advice you to do the same just in case :thumbsup:

All the best,

Mark

A sound advice Mark with your example ! 

Whatever it may turn out to be Steve , get well soon ! 

• Like 1

On 02/08/2021 at 15:36, BinocularSky said:

Not sure I deserve this fuss 🙂 - just an exceptionally nasty cold/cough (which initially, after nearly 3 days of almost non-stop coughing weekend before last, I thought might be Covid, but daily LF tests said otherwise).

Good to see you back in action Steve. :)

• Like 1