Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nagler 31 if anyone’s looking …

… on the popular auction site just reduced to £445. They don’t come up there very often and I’d be all over it if I hadn’t caved in and gone for new.

Advertisement nothing to do with me BTW it just came up on one of my “saved searches”.

M

Just now, Louis D said:

They're only $666 new here in the US, so $621 (converted) isn't much of a discount for us.

Lucky you! Replace the $ with a £ and you are thereabouts our new price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Lucky you! Replace the $ with a £ and you are thereabouts our new price.

There is a hidden 20% VAT now that I think about it in UK pricing absent from US pricing.  Since sale tax varies state by state, county by county, and city by city, it would be impossible to quote it in prices online here.  It comes down to £552.63 without VAT, which is still $772.  I suppose the rest of the difference (~$100) is import tariffs and importer markup.

12 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

Wow because I’m officially “watching” this I get the “seller offer”. Seller just offered it to me and other watchers for £410.

That’s a great price, less than I paid i I thought mine was a good price.

It's such a classic and unique eyepiece and comes up quite rarely. Personally I would not let £20-£30 quid get in the way of owning it.

But I've already got one so I'm not in the frame :icon_biggrin:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, John said:

It's such a classic and unique eyepiece and comes up quite rarely. Personally I would not let £20-£30 quid get in the way of owning it.

But I've already got one so I'm not in the frame :icon_biggrin:

Binoviewers not an option John?

• Haha 3

On 29/07/2021 at 23:29, Louis D said:

There is a hidden 20% VAT now that I think about it in UK pricing absent from US pricing.  Since sale tax varies state by state, county by county, and city by city, it would be impossible to quote it in prices online here.  It comes down to £552.63 without VAT, which is still $772.  I suppose the rest of the difference (~$100) is import tariffs and importer markup.

I have just looked into this about importing astronomy gear and there is 20% VAT, 4% import duty and an extra £8 admin charge to pay before goods are released to you.

Also this charge is on the cost of the goods and postage and packaging and any insurance. It also applies to Gifts not just good bought from a retailer.

One bit I did not fully understand is

You will not have to pay anything to the delivery company to receive goods worth less than £135 unless they’re gifts over £39 or excise goods (for example, alcohol and tobacco).

That doesn't seem fair as why can you only have gifts up to £39 that probably have had VAT paid in country they were bought but you can get retail goods up to £135, that really doesn't make sense to me.

Steve

On 30/07/2021 at 19:49, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I have just looked into this about importing astronomy gear and there is 20% VAT, 4% import duty and an extra £8 admin charge to pay before goods are released to you.

Also this charge is on the cost of the goods and postage and packaging and any insurance. It also applies to Gifts not just good bought from a retailer.

One bit I did not fully understand is

You will not have to pay anything to the delivery company to receive goods worth less than £135 unless they’re gifts over £39 or excise goods (for example, alcohol and tobacco).

That doesn't seem fair as why can you only have gifts up to £39 that probably have had VAT paid in country they were bought but you can get retail goods up to £135, that really doesn't make sense to me.

Steve

Who said tax had to be fair?  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

Binoviewers not an option John?

I can't get on with those even with 1.25 inch eyepieces !

This guy might be interested though :icon_biggrin:

Star Wars' Admiral Ackbar actor reduced to tears at iconic character's  "disappointing" Last Jedi role

• Haha 4

Right-I'm very close to buying this-can anyone suggest a reason why I shouldn't?

It will be for a 12" dob. I already have the explore scientific 82° in 6.7, 11 and 18mm and this will finish off my collection.

Yay or nay?

Edited by popeye85
  • Like 1

If you've got the spare cash lying around, and you've done due diligence with the seller, why not?  You just want to avoid any as-is sales on such high dollar items in case they're trying to pass off a damaged item with undisclosed defects.  ebay is pretty good about protecting buyers in non-as-is sales, so no worries there.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, popeye85 said:

Right-I'm very cloudy to buying this-can anyone suggest a reason why I shouldn't?

It will be for a 12" dob. I already have the explore scientific 82° in 6.7, 11 and 18mm and this will finish off my collection.

Yay or nay?

Certainly would work very well in a 12” dob. Why not? 👍👍

• Like 1