SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

South Wales Astronomy Group (SWAG) Autumn Star Party 2021

Freff

Woke up to an amazing sky. Finally had some special views. Loved seeing ngc 2841 again my my 127 mak. M33 was great and even visible in the 30mm finder! Best of all I saw Eddie's coaster on the day of the celebration of his life.

20211010_032013.thumb.jpg.f05e1e3ab743bef3923801e014a48dd9.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, mdstuart said:

Woke up to an amazing sky. Finally had some special views. Loved seeing ngc 2841 again my my 127 mak. M33 was great and even visible in the 30mm finder! Best of all I saw Eddie's coaster on the day of the celebration of his life.

20211010_032013.thumb.jpg.f05e1e3ab743bef3923801e014a48dd9.jpg

Oh damn I should have stayed 🙄🤨. Hope you all had a good time and it was great to meet you all. Well at least I took the clouds with me and my ‘new’ scope😂

Edited by Trikeflyer

Excellent weekend as always...not much Dob action for me..more of a catch up with friends old and new...thanks to Freff for organising this..a pleasure to support our Welsh observing buddies...he's to the next one 🍻😁

Edited by estwing
  • Like 2

A very big thank you to all those who attended this year’s  autumn SWAG  SP at Pencelli Castle. Especially to the newcomers who contributed by sharing their astro gear,  knowledge and friendship.

We had a great turnout for our first event since the outbreak of Covid, and hopefully the unprecedented amount of public that were amongst us was not an issue, In fact I'm sure there are now a few converts.

We did manage a few clear nights with longer periods for the imagers to do their magic. Hopefully we will see some of their images posted here soon.

Next year’s SWAG SP  has been provisionally booked for weekend 21st - 23rd October 2022 with the New Moon on 25th, and the Orionids Meteor Shower the same weekend.

There is also a weekend on 1st – 3rd April  2022 when a few of the group will have a get together to help shorten the time until the autumn event. Anyone is welcome to join us.

Again, many thanks to all. 👍🔭🪐

• Like 3

Thanks Tony for arranging another excellent  SWAG star party. It was good meeting up with old friends and new. The Brecon dark skies didn't disappoint  (despite only brining binoculars with me this time). 

This was our first holiday since Covid started & we both really enjoyed it. 

Looking forward to April & October.

Mick & Jill

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 16/10/2021 at 15:09, Freff said:

A very big thank you to all those who attended this year’s  autumn SWAG  SP at Pencelli Castle. Especially to the newcomers who contributed by sharing their astro gear,  knowledge and friendship.

We had a great turnout for our first event since the outbreak of Covid, and hopefully the unprecedented amount of public that were amongst us was not an issue, In fact I'm sure there are now a few converts.

We did manage a few clear nights with longer periods for the imagers to do their magic. Hopefully we will see some of their images posted here soon.

Next year’s SWAG SP  has been provisionally booked for weekend 21st - 23rd October 2022 with the New Moon on 25th, and the Orionids Meteor Shower the same weekend.

There is also a weekend on 1st – 3rd April  2022 when a few of the group will have a get together to help shorten the time until the autumn event. Anyone is welcome to join us.

Hi, since Brecon Astrocamp 16 is on from 2nd - 5th April 2022, is the SWAG meeting this coming April going to be rescheduled?

I am booked in for Brecon Astrocamp 16, I'm on pitch 26b.

Best Regards,

Alistair G.

Edited by Live_Steam_Mad

17 hours ago, Live_Steam_Mad said:

Hi, since Brecon Astrocamp 16 is on from 2nd - 5th April 2022, is the SWAG meeting this coming April going to be rescheduled?

I am booked in for Brecon Astrocamp 16, I'm on pitch 26b.

Best Regards,

Alistair G.

Hi Alistair

The get together in April is not a SWAG organised meet per se, but rather an impromptu invite. 

I will be there with one or two others as of now, and hopefully a few other will join in.

Enjoy Cwmdu, and hope to see you in October.

29 minutes ago, Freff said:

Hi Alistair

The get together in April is not a SWAG organised meet per se, but rather an impromptu invite. 

I will be there with one or two others as of now, and hopefully a few other will join in.

Enjoy Cwmdu, and hope to see you in October.

How about making it April 30th to 2nd May then instead at Pencelli, so more people can come due to the May Bank Holiday on Monday 2nd May? Or you could hold the Pencelli event 25th -27th March, Friday until Sunday with basically no Moon?

Best Regards,

AG

Hi Alistair, as I explained it is not an event in April. 

I'm simply going there then as a camper because I have time before going on holiday, and inviting anyone who like to join me socially. (Obviously bring astro gear if they wish)

I will have some astro gear with me, it is Pencelli after all, but it's not an astro event.  HTH

Hi  

On 16/10/2021 at 15:09, Freff said:

Hi Tony,

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend in April as I have been asked to give a talk/workshop on Astrophotography  at AstroCamp.

Hope to make the SWAG star party in October 

Send my love to Cath, your your poor  long suffering wife! 🙂 

Cheers,

Justyn

46 minutes ago, reddoss said:

Hi Tony,

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend in April as I have been asked to give a talk/workshop on Astrophotography  at AstroCamp.

Hope to make the SWAG star party in October 

Send my love to Cath, your your poor  long suffering wife! 🙂 

Cheers,

Justyn

Justyn, knowing you you will still be talking till October. 

You are always welcome to pop in for a cuppa.

Enjoy Cwmdu. 🔭

Take care.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...