Anyone want to help spec cheap astrophotography setup ?

Hi

As I said earlier I have bought an AZ GTi Eq mod mount on a sturdy SW stainless steel tripod. Im going to learn as much as I can using my Canon 500d. I have the 18-55 kit lens and have been loaned a Tamron 70-220 f/3.8 lens. Will be looking out for a prime lens when I know a bit more and what focal length I feel I will use most. Quite happy to begin with a dslr and lens now that I know more and see what can be achieved.

My 130p requires modding to use for AP and I dont want to do that, will just keep for visual. At a later stage might be back asking about refractors suitable for AP, but that will be put off for a while now. Thanks for the help and suggestions definately helped me focus on a direction to take for now.

54 minutes ago, johnbmcg said:

My 130p requires modding to use for AP and I dont want to do that

Might not need to be modded for use with a dedicated astro camera (eg ZWO ASI).

I went through the same thought process with my Celestron 130/ 650mm and was pleasantly surprised to find it works with the ZWO. So I stumped up around £200 for the ASI224mc and got started on AP.

Good luck with your journey 👍🏽

Edited by AstroMuni

5 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

Might not need to be modded for use with a dedicated astro camera (eg ZWO ASI).

I went through the same thought process with my Celestron 130/ 650mm and was pleasantly surprised to find it works with the ZWO. So I stumped up around £200 for the ASI224mc and got started on AP.

Good luck with your journey 👍🏽

Of course , hadn't considered that, but that is definately another option  when I get restless and want to buy more stuff !