Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Refurbished rabbitbarn

Rallemikken

Small house where the kids kept rabbits during winter. Located at 64N, so temp may drop below 15 minus celsius. Was fully insulated, and the "office"-part is still insulated, heated and windproof. Just finished, not tested much. Wifi and 220V, 12cm concrete floor with concrete pier. Roof is winch operated, but gives little resistance. More a precaution if the roof is heavy with snow. Buildt with stuff I had around. Total cost around 9000 norwegian kroner, that's around 900 euro/pound/dollars.

front-aapen-2.jpg

fra_lufta.jpg

sector.jpg

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Looks very nice indeed, what a location.
I presume for imaging?
Or a mixture?

Mostly for imaging, but I have a eyepiece and a barlow handy. You never know when curious kids turns up. I have a bag under the mount, that allows me to remove the DSLR without loosening the cables. Was out in minus 17 last winter, and I had trouble keeping the electronics alive. This is a flexible solution. I have extension cords on most, and keep everything except the mount indoors. Use a Canon 600D, and a small monocamera on the original finderscope as guidescope. Hope this gives less time to setup and preparations. Just to get polaraligned once and for all is worth all the work!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rallemikken said:

Small house where the kids kept rabbits during winter.

What the heck are you guys feeding your rabbits in Norway!   Lovely observatory hope you have fun with it :)

Jim 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Astro Noodles said:

Swedes ? 😂

Nope. But we had lots of them. The children had sort of a business. One small for a couple of bucks. And we grew hay. Fond memories of this house. Now the children has left the nest, and I've wondered a couple of years what to do with it. Think I nailed it!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Swoop1 said:

I take it the profiled polycarbonate is to seal/ weatherproof the end when closed?

Yes. Up or down in ten seconds. Very tight fit, not a drop of rain inside. This end is facing west, which is my dominating wind direction. Looks a little to shiny, maybe I'll matt it down and paint it red. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Small upgrade. The observatory has got a foldable windshield, and I have made a platform for my new dob. The former dollhouse is modified a bit, with a door that makes me able to store the dob and a chair when not in use. I made a cradle for the tube, after all, you first get the mount, and then the tube. To heavy and wobbly to carry in one piece. The windshield is hinged to the wall, and is raised and folded out in two seconds. It's mounted in the prominent wind direction, and one (but not both) side section can be folded in.

I have missed a scope to use visually while I image, hence the 8" dobsonian. I have also experienced nights when I have lost many subs due to wind, hope this will help a bit.

rabittbarn-2.jpg

• Like 3