Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron NexStar+ hand controller

I purchased a used Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT recently and was wondering if it would be wise to upgrade the Firmware on the hand controller as high odds it has never been updated.

It is the older hand controller as has the RS-232 jack on it. Is it worth updating the firmware? I'd also like to use the cable to extend the reach of the hand controller as the stock telephone style cable is more irritating than good, as well as potentially linking it to my laptop.

Additionally, is it better to buy a RS-232 cable, and separate converter RS-232 to USB, or to buy an all in one RS-232 USB cable on Amazon such as a Meade LX200 GPS contol cable? or something along this line? No idea if cables have to be compatible.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Telescope-Control-Upgrade-Console-AUTOSTAR/dp/B08LP8BL1G

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by DougQuaidHauser

Having done firmware upgrades as part of my job, I am a firm believer in the maxim "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If there is a known problem and a firmware upgrade is known to fix it, then a firmware upgrade is worth doing. otherwise, leave well alone. When did you last upgrade the firmware in your electric toothbrush? Your microwave? Your washing machine? Your car? I thought not. 🙂

Upgrading the firmware in a SLT is not a simple operation, requiring sundry bits of software to be loaded and  a serial cable and USB-to-serial converter to be acquired. There is the potential of hours of 'fun' or things going terminally wrong.  That said, I have had to reload the motor control firmware a couple of times because it got mysteriously corrupted.  And if that happens, you'll know...  (You get Error 16 or Error 17 which means "This does Not Work" - which is kinda obvious anyway.)

• Like 3

• 2 months later...