Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M31 bathing in ionised Hydrogen

peter shah

• peter shah changed the title to M31 bathing in ionised Hydrogen
19 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

This makes me wonder - people report IFN around M31, but here it appears to be Ha in nature.

I wonder what it really is?

7 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

This is a really fascinating image and the predominance of Ha in the surrounding regions raises some interesting questions - nicely done, Peter!

There is defiantly some IFN in the Luminance data that isn't consistent with the H-alpha data....The strongest area of Ha is in the lower region of the frame where the IFN is more so in the upper area of the shot...... both are incredibly faint

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Well, this APOD shows exactly the same structure of Ha:

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap180108.html

I was completely unaware of these structures around M31 (they are of course within our galaxy and not really around M31).

@peter shah Excellent capture!

Great find!.....its nice to get some confirmation...... I am continuing to capture frames to see if I'm able to define it a bit more.

Edited by peter shah

It's a superb image Peter. I first saw this Ha detail in an image by Rogelio Bernal Andreo (of Deep Sky Colours fame) posted on Astrobin back in 2014 https://www.astrobin.com/134660/B/. Rogelio suggested that it may have been the first time anyone captured this detail, but who knows..... Regardless, your's is a stunning confirmation that it is real.

Edited by geoflewis
corrected date to 2014
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, tomato said:

Wonderful image Peter. I find getting a great photo of M31 hard enough, never mind trying to capture any faint Ha that surrounds it!

Thank you

Just now, geoflewis said:

It's a superb image Peter. I first saw this Ha detail in an image by Rogelio Bernal Andreo (of Deep Sky Colours fame) posted on Astrobin back in 2017 https://www.astrobin.com/134660/B/. Rogelio suggested that it may have been the first time anyone captured this detail, but who knows..... Regardless, your's is a stunning confirmation that it is real.

Thank you Geof.....to say it was a challenge is really understating it in truth.....I  had to do some work to bring it out...I have my various different stages of process saved and will continue to collect Ha for it to see if I am able to refine it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, peter shah said:

Thank you

Thank you Geof.....to say it was a challenge is really understating it in truth.....I  had to do some work to bring it out...I have my various different stages of process saved and will continue to collect Ha for it to see if I am able to refine it.

Good luck with adding more Ha Peter, but I would say don't overdo it. Of the 3 versions I have seen, i.e. Rogelio's, Daniel's APOD and yours, I think yours has the most natual look, not that there's anything natural about images like this. What I mean is that to me the balance between the galaxy and the Ha sirus in your image is just right, with neither one overwhelming the other. It really highlights your exellent processing skills.

Cheers,

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, DaveS said:

That really is a stunning M31 Peter. Never seen that H-alpha in the foreground before.

Thank you David, I had only seen it in a couple and though it was something I wanted to try

1 hour ago, geoflewis said:

Good luck with adding more Ha Peter, but I would say don't overdo it. Of the 3 versions I have seen, i.e. Rogelio's, Daniel's APOD and yours, I think yours has the most natual look, not that there's anything natural about images like this. What I mean is that to me the balance between the galaxy and the Ha sirus in your image is just right, with neither one overwhelming the other. It really highlights your exellent processing skills.

Cheers,

Yes I agree I don't want to over do it...., its a representation of the area and not to everyone's taste.

• Like 1

A fantastic image Peter!

I am early in my AP career and, if by the end of it, I can get just M31 to even approach yours, I shall be able to pop off this mortal coil a very happy man.

Results to aspire to.

• Thanks 1

Excellent image, always amazes me what is actually out there :)

I am off to a darker site soon (from a bortle 8 to a bortle 3).  I imaged M31 from that location last year but have since upgraded my equipment.

I will be imaging using my modified DSLR but have you any expert tips that you could share regards not blowing out the core. From a processing point I can somewhat dial back the core using pixInsight but I would like to get the actual data right in the first place.

I Assume taking long exposures along with some shorter one for the core?

Edited by Chefgage
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Glorious image Peter. ..huge well done

Thank you 😀

39 minutes ago, Chefgage said:

Excellent image, always amazes me what is actually out there :)

I am off to a darker site soon (from a bortle 8 to a bortle 3).  I imaged M31 from that location last year but have since upgraded my equipment.

I will be imaging using my modified DSLR but have you any expert tips that you could share regards not blowing out the core. From a processing point I can somewhat dial back the core using pixInsight but I would like to get the actual data right in the first place.

I Assume taking long exposures along with some shorter one for the core?

Thank you..... Yes make sure you get some shorter subs for the core. Presumably the DSLR is Cmos so you can do lots of shorter subs ie 2mins for the main bulk and 30s for the core.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peter shah said:

Thank you 😀

Thank you..... Yes make sure you get some shorter subs for the core. Presumably the DSLR is Cmos so you can do lots of shorter subs ie 2mins for the main bulk and 30s for the core.

Thanks. I will go for that.

• Like 1