SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky Watcher AZ GTi - New Firmware Available V3.30

GoldTop57

23 minutes ago, Ags said:

Is the telescope on the "correct" side of the mount? Try mounting the scope on the opposite side and see if it improves.

lol yep it is.  I already "fixed" that problem months ago.  And then after the update it all of a sudden kept happening again.  I'm gonna let it go for now tbh.  My brand new CGEM 9.25HD is coming on Wednesday (finally), so I think it's time to give the Skywatcher some rest for a while.

Maybe the update flipped sides. There are two version 3.30s - which one did you download?

Doesn't support EQ mode (left arm):

image.png.39b3411242e880a418698e8576fe0670.png

Does support EQ mode (right arm):

image.png.fad27cd63e5266e3e7493292c4eb6e5a.png

3 hours ago, Maideneer said:

Updated firmware yesterday and taking the scope out for a spin tonight.  What's happening now is the exact same frustrating thing that is happening when I first bought the mount.  Trying to do north-level alignment and as soon as I input a couple stars and set it north to begin, the thing thinks I'm pointing south or something and starts slewing towards the ground.  Even tried installing the update again and same thing.  So I guess I'll just manually observe tonight.  Oh also, before the update installed it used to ask me every time I connected if I wanted Alt-Az or EQ mode...that seems to have completely gone away and it automatically connects me to Alt-Az mode?  Not even sure how to change that if I wanted to.

Have to be honest and say that this mount has been very hit or miss with me...it's not that great quite frankly.

Sorry to hear you're having troubles again @Maideneer I remember the mount issue you had back in May were driving you up the wall. IIRC at the time after doing all the updates you switched to the scope being mounted on the right hand side which solved your problem?

I believe you were using the eq-supported firmware which I understand requires the telescope to be on the right hand side if the mount is directly in front of you and pointing forward/north - as @Ags mentioned could it be the firmware you're using now is the alt-az only version which requires the scope to be on the left? 

Edited by badhex
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Ags said:

Maybe the update flipped sides. There are two version 3.30s - which one did you download?

Doesn't support EQ mode (left arm):

image.png.39b3411242e880a418698e8576fe0670.png

Does support EQ mode (right arm):

image.png.fad27cd63e5266e3e7493292c4eb6e5a.png

Five times.  I tried re-installing the thing five times.  Twice with the first version you posted here and thrice with the second version you posted. It finally worked as advertised...I don't even know why the heck I tried that many times - probably because I'm stubborn lol.

So yes, it's now back to "normal" but holy moly why was that so difficult?

Oh and thanks, you inspired me to keep trying :)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Maideneer said:

Five times.  I tried re-installing the thing five times.  Twice with the first version you posted here and thrice with the second version you posted. It finally worked as advertised...I don't even know why the heck I tried that many times - probably because I'm stubborn lol.

This makes me question should I even try to update my firmware from 3.26 right arm eq mode 🤔🙄

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, wormix said:

I’m tactically waiting till more people install and report back!

But im a coward!

Haha I'm literally doing the same thing! I work in IT so I'm generally all about waiting until they fix the bugs or at least until people have figured out what the bugs are before I upgrade! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Maideneer said:

Was just wondering (and might benefit others with the same issue) what the end result was after each installation? Did the upgraded firmware not install correctly (i.e. firmware version still showing the same in the app) , or did it install but not fix the issue? And what was the difference in outcome between the left/right hand versions? Presumably there must have been some difference between the two if the scope was mounted on the same side for both versions? 

• Like 1

It would appear from the files available that there is a version for standard AltAz operation and another allowing both EQ mode & Right-hand. And firmware updates being a bit of a pain based on threads here on SGL.

8 hours ago, badhex said:

Was just wondering (and might benefit others with the same issue) what the end result was after each installation? Did the upgraded firmware not install correctly (i.e. firmware version still showing the same in the app) , or did it install but not fix the issue? And what was the difference in outcome between the left/right hand versions? Presumably there must have been some difference between the two if the scope was mounted on the same side for both versions? 

During installation, I did encounter error messages which prevented me from completing the install, so I tried again, and again.  It seems to work whenever it wants to work.

When I installed the Alt-AZ version, like I mentioned, the mount was almost disoriented so it though north was south and slewed to the ground during alignment.  I would have had to switch orientation of my scope if I wanted to continue using it.  The opposite was true with the EQ mode installation, the orientation of my scope didn't need to change.

That's the main thing I could understand from both installations - orientations are flipped depending on which on is installed.  Not sure why they would do that really or if someone failed some sort of QC check to make sure of this aspect.

• Like 2

On 27/07/2021 at 04:19, Maideneer said:

Updated firmware yesterday and taking the scope out for a spin tonight.  What's happening now is the exact same frustrating thing that is happening when I first bought the mount.  Trying to do north-level alignment and as soon as I input a couple stars and set it north to begin, the thing thinks I'm pointing south or something and starts slewing towards the ground.  Even tried installing the update again and same thing.  So I guess I'll just manually observe tonight.  Oh also, before the update installed it used to ask me every time I connected if I wanted Alt-Az or EQ mode...that seems to have completely gone away and it automatically connects me to Alt-Az mode?  Not even sure how to change that if I wanted to.

Have to be honest and say that this mount has been very hit or miss with me...it's not that great quite frankly.

Please don't be offended (because I've done this once! 🙄). In the Synscan app - settings - location, is the location sensor button switched on and if yes, is the location correct?

13 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Please don't be offended (because I've done this once! 🙄). In the Synscan app - settings - location, is the location sensor button switched on and if yes, is the location correct?

Always🙂 - all fixed now though, problem solved as discussed above!

3 hours ago, Maideneer said:

During installation, I did encounter error messages which prevented me from completing the install, so I tried again, and again.  It seems to work whenever it wants to work.

When I installed the Alt-AZ version, like I mentioned, the mount was almost disoriented so it though north was south and slewed to the ground during alignment.  I would have had to switch orientation of my scope if I wanted to continue using it.  The opposite was true with the EQ mode installation, the orientation of my scope didn't need to change.

That's the main thing I could understand from both installations - orientations are flipped depending on which on is installed.  Not sure why they would do that really or if someone failed some sort of QC check to make sure of this aspect.

Thanks - hopefully if someone else has the same issue they will find this thread and it might help. 

So regarding the updates, I have read (and @PeterW said something similar earlier in the thread) that updates via WiFi can be problematic when there are lots of other networks in range, could be that contributed to it failing during the update process.

Regarding the alt-az mode left hand/eq mode right hand thing, it is by design rather than accidental, as it mentions in the update notes (and gives you the option to choose when connecting as you pointed out) so it's just a case of getting the right one for your use case - although they don't make it that easy sometimes! 

Either way - glad you got it sorted. 

• Like 1

I would add only one small advice: when something goes wrong try to reset the alignment.

It is happen yesterday for me: long time I did not use AZ-GTi controlled by phone (usually I using with  astroberry); when I did try to align mount goes totally in wrong direction; I did reset the alignment from mobile app and everything is back to normal.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2021 at 20:03, badhex said:

So regarding the updates, I have read (and @PeterW said something similar earlier in the thread) that updates via WiFi can be problematic when there are lots of other networks in range, could be that contributed to it failing during the update process.

I think when I come to update my az gti to version 3.30 I shall use my lynx astro cable to do it. 

• Like 1

Phew. I've just updated the firmware on my az gti to 3.30 right arm az eq mode from 3.26 right arm az eq and all seems to be working fine. I did my update via my lynx astro cable. I did turn off the WiFi on my laptop and disconnected the ethernet cable from my laptop to my router and touch wood seems to be working with my AAP and tablet (albeit a dry run indoors as it's still windy and cloudy) hopefully it'll all be ok when I use it for real. Still got a little work to do on the cable management at the front but think it'll snag if to tidy. 

IMG_20210728_175707.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Phew. I've just updated the firmware on my az gti to 3.30 right arm az eq mode from 3.26 right arm az eq and all seems to be working fine. I did my update via my lynx astro cable. I did turn off the WiFi on my laptop and disconnected the ethernet cable from my laptop to my router and touch wood seems to be working with my AAP and tablet (albeit a dry run indoors as it's still windy and cloudy) hopefully it'll all be ok when I use it for real. 

IMG_20210728_175707.jpg

Good news. Did you get chance to use it in earnest? Another question - which cable were you using to do the update? Does the standard firmware loader have a cable update option? 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, badhex said:

Good news. Did you get chance to use it in earnest? Another question - which cable were you using to do the update? Does the standard firmware loader have a cable update option? 

I haven't used it in anger yet but hoping to Sunday or Monday night if the cloud gods [removed word] off, I only managed the update last night and typical wind a cloud. I used my lynx astro cable to update it and the non WiFi motor controller software (screenshot here) 

Screenshot_20210731_114242_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

I haven't used it in anger yet but hoping to Sunday or Monday night if the cloud gods [removed word] off, I only managed the update last night and typical wind a cloud. I used my lynx astro cable to update it and the non WiFi motor controller software (screenshot here) 

Screenshot_20210731_114242_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Thanks! 

• Like 1

I down loaded 3.30 no trouble with a   Skywatcher Telescope AZ-GTI Mount PC Connect EQMOD Cable for PC to Hand Control Port Cable Directly from Amazon they were the only ones that had any sort in stock.

peter

• Like 1