Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Zoom eyepiece recommendations

I have owned a few zoom eyepieces - baader, televue and more recently a svbony 10 - 30mm. The first two were excellent but much more expensive than the Svbony. I cannot fault the Svbony which I mainly use on my Ha solar scope. I have never tried the 7-21 version but I guess it should be okay.

What scope are you going to use and what objects. Be aware that the 21mms end will have a narrow FOV.

• Like 1

The Baader Mk IV has a lot of fans.  A little cheaper, but not discussed as much, is the Stellalyra 8-24mm lanthanum.
You don't give a price range, but as you mention the Celestron and SVBONY you are possibly wanting to spend two figures rather than three? The SVBONY products are widely judged to be good value for money. I use the OVL Hyperflex 7.2-21.5mm and find it to be a decent performer in its bracket. This design is sold under several different brands. Be aware that the field of view in most zooms gets smaller at the longest focal length.

Have you looked for other threads?

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/369111-zoom-eyepieces

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/365885-pricey-zooms-worth-the-money/

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/380367-stellalyra-8-24mm/

Edited by Zermelo
  • Like 1

Personally I would buy the Baader mk. IV if you use 1.25" and 2" e/p's

I do not own one, but borrowed one from a fellow member from my local astro society/club at the end of February 2020 and was quite surprised by its weight and performance with my 're-modded' ETX105. 

• Like 1

Do you wear eyeglasses while observing due to astigmatism?  I've found most zoom eyepieces lack sufficient eye relief for eyeglass wearers.

As far as zooms, I pick up the older Celestron Regal 8-24mm zooms (also sold as Olivon) that came with ED spotting scopes.  I find them on ebay and CN classifieds for about $60.  Once the eye cup is completely screwed off, I can use them with eyeglasses.  Since I tend to use them with a Barlowed binoviewer, they perform pretty well across the field.

• Like 1

On 24/07/2021 at 18:35, Mark at Beaufort said:

I have owned a few zoom eyepieces - baader, televue and more recently a svbony 10 - 30mm. The first two were excellent but much more expensive than the Svbony. I cannot fault the Svbony which I mainly use on my Ha solar scope. I have never tried the 7-21 version but I guess it should be okay.

What scope are you going to use and what objects. Be aware that the 21mms end will have a narrow FOV.

Using it on a 10 inch dobsonian for visual 

Hello, I do have a Celestron 8 - 24  and very satisfied with my 5" SCT, it is my grab and go scope with an iOptron cube GPS. Very handy, when space is limited on camping trips in the back woods.

• Like 1

I read what I could find about users impressions of the inexpensive zooms, and ended up getting a pair of Svbony 7-21s for my outreach telescopes.  Both of mine are smooth enough, but several people have reported that they become very hard to turn in cooler (not freezing) temperatures.  Spotty quality control is unavoidable in a $50 Chinese zoom, but if you get a good one they're just fine, and I consider it a bargain for the money.

• Like 1