Celestron 80ED Focuser

You need one of these adaptors then you can fit any focuser with an 86mm flange.

https://agenaastro.com/agena-crayford-focuser-adapter-celestron-c80ed-refractor.html

The C80ED focuser scews on to the tube hence the need for an adaptor. As far as I know there are no focusers that will fit straight onto the tube.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Have you checked to see by unscrewing the focuser itself, some were supposedly glued on or the focuser threads were not to a good standard, before you buy.

I found adding teflon strips and tuning the focuser, the teflon strips on the draw tube tightens up the movement and is able to hold a good weighted camera. I will never change the focuser on mine. Same with its big brother I have the C100ED.

16 hours ago, johninderby said:

You need one of these adaptors then you can fit any focuser with an 86mm flange.

https://agenaastro.com/agena-crayford-focuser-adapter-celestron-c80ed-refractor.html

The C80ED focuser scews on to the tube hence the need for an adaptor. As far as I know there are no focusers that will fit straight onto the tube.

Moonlite do a flange version for the C80ED, but its a poor fit. You would have to cut around 7mm off the end of the tube so no exposed threads are seen.

The focuser assembly unscrews.

The purpose behind this is I'm trying to put together and inexpensive white light solar scope. The 80ED I have has superb image quality and would work well.

My other option is to use my 120mm achro stopped down. That would give an 80mm f12.5 and, I assume, acceptable CA.

With my 22mm LVW at x27 starfields are remarkable. Stars are the tiniest specks imaginable but so full of colour. I wish I'd had this combination back in my variable star observing days.

I saw on CN that the RC focusers use the same thread as the C80ED (M90x1) - whether that is correct I can't say but could open up the fitting of an RC unit, possibly with an extender if required. Or maybe an RC adapter which could be more readily available.

But best check this first in case CN thread is wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Micheal ,

I commiserate  with you .  I am chasing a  new focuser  for my North Group ED80 APO triplet.  The optics of this scope are exceptional.  Its my understanding these scopes have been rebadged under different brand names ( Meade , Orion , Explore Scientific ) using different focuser adapter threads.  I am about to commit to the purchase of a Baader BDS-RT ( diamond steeltrack )  .  You can purchase a female  M90  * 1  telescope adapter for this focuser  Hopefully this  adapter will fit you scope . Unfortunately this will not fit mine and I am arranging  to have an adapter machined  to suit the Baader. 

https://www.365astronomy.com/Baader-2-BDS-RT-Diamond-Steeltrack-RT-Focuser-for-Refractor-Telescopes

Cheers Rob

As I previously mentioned I believe the Celestron ED80 has a M90x1 thread, and Rob Dog has also mentioned that too.  So I had a look to see if the agenastro adapter had any specs that would confirm that.

Doing so I found this useful threads page which if you scan for Celestron shows:

Telescope Tube     M90x1.0     Smaller GSO RC/Cassegrain telescopes, Celestron 80ED and 100ED scopes (discontinued versions)

So the adapter for a Baader Steeltrack would be  RT-Adapter M90x1 Diamond Steeltrack® (Skywatcher) # 2957283

HTH Steve

Edited by StevieDvd
Removed CSS