SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello From Geelong, Australia

Technobill

G'day Everyone,

I am new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself.

I am from a town call Geelong which is west of Melbourne in Australia.

I am a late commer to astronophotography and have only been into astronomy for about a year. I started off with an 8" meade Lx200 a year ago, got hooked and have since aquired an ed80 and built an observatory. This week I am purchasing a 12" LX200R to complete the obs. That should be fun.

I have a couple of images on my website, not that many, but I also documented the building of the observatory for those that are interested.

www.billd.net

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

G'day Billy, and welcome to SGL.

Nice to have another Ozzie join the forum. We have a few.

Trust you didn't suffer any losses in the recent Bush Fires. An absolute tragedy.

I have a cousin in Yarra Junction, outside of Melbourne, but thankfully they were unscathed.

Dave

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Expecially those that say I acheived a lot in a year. I thought I was pretty slack actually especially over winter (quickly discovered that packing up damp equipment is not fun) Hence the decision to build the obs.

Bill D

G'day Billy and welcome to SGL.

My uncle emigrated to Australia in 1955 (a £10 pom) and settled in Geelong (worked at the VW and then Ford factory?).

I visited Geelong in 1998 and stuffed myself silly at the restraunt at the end of the Pier (Smorgy's ?). Ah, happy days!

Dark skies,

Zaph

Hi Zaph,

Yup Smorgy's is still there. Hehe I have been in Geelong for nearly 20 years and often walk along the pier during my lunch breaks and I have never actually eaten there hehe.

Bill D

G'day Billy and welcome to SGL.

My uncle emigrated to Australia in 1955 (a £10 pom) and settled in Geelong (worked at the VW and then Ford factory?).

I visited Geelong in 1998 and stuffed myself silly at the restraunt at the end of the Pier (Smorgy's ?). Ah, happy days!

Dark skies,

Zaph

HI Bill,

I am writing from British Columbia, Canada.

Just by sheer coincidence my lady friend departed from Geelong at 1pm your time today (Thurs). on route to Sydney prior to returning home.

I was wondering how much the smoke has hampered your viewing.

Also I have only joined this site today.

Alan

Hi Alan,

The weather in general has been bad for astronomy this year. We have had so much cloud but very little rain down south (while the north of the country is under metres of water (one river up in the north west is 30metres yes THIRTY above its normal level and at the other extreme our city water catchment here is less than 30% full. hehe last week a lake actually caught on fire..well it used to be a lake).

This last week we have had a few clearish nights but if the wind blows the wrong direction there is a very hazy atmosphere like a light smog. Last night for example the whole sky had a soft red glow at sunset even though there were no clouds here. So I did not bother doing anything...

Not bothering might also have something to do with being just days away from having a 12 " scope instead of an 8" hehe

BillD

HI Bill,

I am writing from British Columbia, Canada.

Just by sheer coincidence my lady friend departed from Geelong at 1pm your time today (Thurs). on route to Sydney prior to returning home.

I was wondering how much the smoke has hampered your viewing.

Also I have only joined this site today.

Alan

Archived