Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter and Io timelapse

MarkRadice

Just watching a solar eclipse on another planet !!

I am still buzzing from watching Jupiter’s moon Io pass over the cloud tops despite getting up at 0200.  The shadow is clearly visible followed by the moon itself while the planet rotates underneath. 

Sure beats watching TV!

Details of the techniques are in this video: https://youtu.be/QesmmxCb_h0

20210721 Jupiter and Io.png

• Like 5

Ah cheers chaps.  I hate the timelapse, it looks awful at that size! It has defaulted to fill the screen rather than remain at its original size.  

Amusingly, I had looked up the times of the shadow and subsequent moon transit. Having watched the shadow egress, I was astonished to see a bright spot on the equatorial region.  My heart raced! I had captured a Jupiter impact.  The scientific and popular press would be beating a path to my door and I could dine out on the story for years to come.  Then my befuddled brain remembered that it was Io, keeping to its preordained schedule! 

11 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Amazing vid, Mark

2 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Very cool Mark 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MarkRadice said:

Ah cheers chaps.  I hate the timelapse, it looks awful at that size! It has defaulted to fill the screen rather than remain at its original size.  

Amusingly, I had looked up the times of the shadow and subsequent moon transit. Having watched the shadow egress, I was astonished to see a bright spot on the equatorial region.  My heart raced! I had captured a Jupiter impact.  The scientific and popular press would be beating a path to my door and I could dine out on the story for years to come.  Then my befuddled brain remembered that it was Io, keeping to its preordained schedule! 

I once spotted a scar from a impact Mark coming around jupiter. Problem is the guys in oz had already spotted it. I feel your pain lol