Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Matt black paint pen for secondary spider vanes

Hi all,

I'm occasionally getting bright streaks on my subs, and I've identified the problem: reflections from the spider vanes in very specific circumstances. I pinpointed this by covering each vane with my hand and taking a shot. It's consistent and repeatable (and I'm so glad I've found the cause!)

So, next up: the fix. I've got some tape on the vanes currently which works, but it's a bit, ummm, agricultural. I'd like something that looks a bit better.

It seems to me that a nice, matt black paint would be best, but I don't really want to have to brush this on, let alone spray it. I want just to be able to spend a minute or so applying it, without having to remove the vanes or risk paint getting everywhere, or inconsistent application. I'd also rather not have to bother with flocking etc. I know the fix, and it doesn't require over-engineering.

So I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a small paint PEN that could do the trick, available in the UK? I've come across some but they're only brands for sale in the US such as Testors. I'm sure they market themselves under a different brand in the UK/Europe but I haven't seen any solid recommendations from scouring the forums. 

There are plenty of black pens, obviously, but I'd just like a recommendation from anyone who happens to have used a specific one on their Newts?

I also know there are super-duper blacks out there such as VantaBlack and Black 3.0, but they don't come as pens that I can see. They're also expensive (and, as far as I can tell, Anish Kapoor won't let anyone use the VantaBlack!)

Thanks, Brendan

Edited by BrendanC

You can get liquid chalk markers in black but I don't know of any that are permanent. Could you not just get a small pot of blackboard paint - that would only take a minute? You can also buy matt black touch up brushes for alloy wheels which might be a good option. Other than the blackboard paint I haven't tried the others.

I could do that, but I'm a bit cackhanded and my greatest fear is a dollop of the stuff dropping off into the scope itself, especially the primary (which I can avert by having the scope vertical, but still...)

I've come across the alloy wheel brush-up stuff too. Basically, I'm the type of person who will research, research, research, find loads of options, then not know which to go for! Which is why I was wondering whether anyone here actually knew of, specifically, a matt black paint pen that works on metal, that they've used before.

There is a difference between pigment-based paints and dye-based ones. Pigments are non-reflective in all wavelengths and are to be preferred for astronomy-blackening. Barbecue or stove paints are pigment based. If you have the tube upside down and only take a small amount onto your brush, doing so away from the tube, I can't see much risk.

I don't recommend it but the effect of a drop of black paint on your mirror would be effectively zero.

Olly

• Like 1

@johninderby Yep, already said, I don't want to use Black 3.0! I know there's 'none more black' but it's a daft price, just for spider vanes.

@ollypenrice I really did not realise the difference between pigment and dye-based paints, thanks. I'll look into this. Any recommendations from stuff you've actually used?

25 minutes ago, BrendanC said:

@johninderby Yep, already said, I don't want to use Black 3.0! I know there's 'none more black' but it's a daft price, just for spider vanes.

@ollypenrice I really did not realise the difference between pigment and dye-based paints, thanks. I'll look into this. Any recommendations from stuff you've actually used?

I've only used sprays bought locally here in France, I'm  afraid. There must be black stove touch up paints though.

Olly

Done all of mine; shiny bits around spider vanes and other areas, including scratches with Krylon ultra flat non reflective paint. Dries in less than 15 min, suitable for metal, comes in a spray can, which can be squirted into the cap and then painted on. 

Thanks for the suggestions but no way am I going to spray or remove the vanes!

This should be a quick, five minute job tops.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion of pigment blacks, I'm going to look into that. Definitely pointed me in the right direction! :)

Already done the deed - realised the thing I want doesn't exist, decided I'll have to paint, found a Black 3.0 10ml pot and have decided to go with that for £3.50. Done.

Edited by BrendanC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1