Narrowband

First light with Baader Ha CMOS filter - Tak 180ed - Sadr

tooth_dr

Here is my first image of the season with the Tak and the new "ultra-highspeed" 3.5nm Ha filter from Baader

It's not really dark here but miraculously having clear skies when new kit left me no option.

300 x 35 subs = 2 hours and 55 minutes

Resized 25% and starless until I sort of the spacing of the CC.  I think this setup has a lot of potential.

Adam.

Sadr-Ha_STARLESS.thumb.jpg.931836df66e4d5bb20553d53fcee4895.jpg

• Like 27
  • Sad 1

Splendid Adam, the Ha filter is definitely on the 'to purchase' list !

As you know though from our PMs, I'm awaiting your full evaluations of the OIII filter and look forward to both this and your other thread on the subject being updated over the coming weeks....

Clear skies to you!

Damian

• Like 1

Adam,

Really nice capture when you consider that according to the literature that is put out, this filter is too fast for the 180 Tak @f2.8!  They recommend a minimum of 4.5nm, so look forward to seeing further images with the Oxygen filter as well.

Geoff

7 minutes ago, Spitfire said:

Adam,

Really nice capture when you consider that according to the literature that is put out, this filter is too fast for the 180 Tak @f2.8!  They recommend a minimum of 4.5nm, so look forward to seeing further images with the Oxygen filter as well.

Geoff

As a high speed filter it will be frequency shifted to compensate for the shift due to the angle of the light cone from the edge of the objective / primary. 

Adam 

3 hours ago, Spitfire said:

Adam,

Geoff

Hi Geoff

This new filter has been adjusted to suit a fast scope, and it only works up to F3.5 (what Adam says above).  There are 4 versions of this filter - you can get 3.5nm and 7.0nm, either for fast or normal scopes.  

Adam,

I'm going a bit blind I think! Just noticed you're using the ZWO CMOS camera. I'm still on the Atik CCD so I was really talking about CCD cameras. Have noted that they say the filter is also good for the CCD, so it looks like I may have to raid the piggy bank again!🙄

Geoff

25 minutes ago, Spitfire said:

Adam,

I'm going a bit blind I think! Just noticed you're using the ZWO CMOS camera. I'm still on the Atik CCD so I was really talking about CCD cameras. Have noted that they say the filter is also good for the CCD, so it looks like I may have to raid the piggy bank again!🙄

Geoff

If it can prevent reflections on CMOS then it will do an even better job of preventing them on a CCD.

• Like 1

Adam, can I ask how you removed the stars and their diffraction spikes as I am looking at the same scope but would like to be able to process nebula separately from the stars? I use Straton for my refractor work but haven’t found anything that removes the diff spikes as well.

Great image by the way. 

On 23/07/2021 at 23:25, PadrePeace said:

Adam, can I ask how you removed the stars and their diffraction spikes as I am looking at the same scope but would like to be able to process nebula separately from the stars? I use Straton for my refractor work but haven’t found anything that removes the diff spikes as well.

Great image by the way. 

I would like to know this too @tooth_dr

On 23/07/2021 at 23:25, PadrePeace said:

Great image by the way. 

I used Starnet to remove the stars, it works pretty well, but it does leave diffraction spikes.  I 'think' I used the healing tool set to very low pixel size and went over the fine diffraction line and it blended it out.

Can I ask given the scope’s  speed and therefore tiny focus window if you are using an autofocuser with you Tac 180? If so, is that on the original Tac focuser or an upgrade?
I’m very surprised that Tac mount a single speed focuser on gear this expensive and fast. how do you find it performs?

Edited by PadrePeace
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, PadrePeace said:

Can I ask given the scope’s  speed and therefore tiny focus window if you are using an autofocuser with you Tac 180? If so, is that on the original Tac focuser or an upgrade?
I’m very surprised that Tac mount a single speed focuser on gear this expensive and fast. how do you find it performs?

Ok, so I bought the scope with a Moonlite focuser but it also came with the original focuser.  I struggled with double diffraction spikes from day one when exactly 'in focus', and in the end sent the Moonlite focuser back over the the USA for an upgrade as it was a older model.  In the mean time I fitted the OEM focuser.  It came with the optional microfocuser knob.  The OEM focuser in my view was shocking, although others have had a much better experience.  It had a lot of slop in it when changing directions, making it impossible to focus.  I refitted the new Moonlite which was setup by Ron before posting over, immediate improvement.  Up until recently I have been manually focusing with a Bhatinov mask and I have not found any problems doing so.  The last night I was out I set up the autofocus routine and it seemed to work fine so I'll stick with that from now on.  I have some tilt to sort out, but that can wait until I get another clear night.

Here is a picture of my new Moonlite focuser in 'violet' colour.

Adam.

IMG_3399 (1).jpg

IMG_3401 (1).jpg

IMG_2378.JPEG

Edited by tooth_dr

I wanted to buy a manual Moonlite focuser for my SCT, but they cancelled the order (as they now only do the motorised version and hadn't bothered to tell the retailer!).

Yours looks very pretty, but I am surprised to see such an ancient serial port connector! I had no idea they were still being made

38 minutes ago, StuartT said:

Yours looks very pretty, but I am surprised to see such an ancient serial port connector! I had no idea they were still being made

It doesn’t plug directly into a pc, this goes into a control hub such as in my case the Hitec astro mount hub pro.