M31 Andromeda in 48 mins

Is this about what to expect from 48 mins of exposure ? (4x 3min subs L,R,G,B with asi1600 at 139 unity gain)

I dunno, I thought I should be getting better than this. I had to drop the L data too, as it was just screwing up the image. Am I exposing too long per sub ?

I'm shooting on my 72ED.

Any help appreciated. processed in Affinity, since startools was screwing it up with L data , and then kept crashing trying to load composition again so gave up.

21_07_17_M31.thumb.jpg.40a5874929c970dc3a8cd1fe446ae058.jpg

• Like 1

I’m still finding my way round the asi1600 and filters and consider myself still a novice. This was taken last year not long after I had bought it(the weather has been pretty dismal) and was one of my last images until June of this year.

It’s 30  x 2min subs each LRGB gain 200 in bottle 4, and sub length I thought I was pushing it then. The processing is not quite right but I hope to give it another. go cloud permitting.  
try shorter subs at 60 seconds and plenty of them. 
useful link I found helpful:https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/573886-sub-exposure-tables-for-asi-1600-and-maybe-qhy163/

E2a there’s also a Affinity processing book available from FLO (I think) that may prove useful  

46C3D0F1-F277-4BB5-B739-8B8457FE352A.jpeg

Edited by Andy R
  • Thanks 1