SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A very sad attempt at the Sadr Region

Hello there!

Knowing I would have a clear night on Friday, I was preparing myself to image the whole Veil Nebula in Cygnus with my samyang 135mm. Sadly, after watching TV and getting up at half 4 every morning for work that week, I fell to sleep at about half 9 and woke up at half 11 (When I should of already been imaging!), So I got up, and with a slight rush I went out and set up, trying to find the Veil after setting up.

After a few frustrating test shots at different stars trying to find the right one, I came across the Sadr region, and as I didnt want to waste anymore time, I just thought, what the hell, Ill image this instead.

The shots looked good, surprising myself at how much HA the unmodded 800d was picking up, and almost clearly seeing IC1318 in a 60 second exposure. After seeing that, and googling other peoples un modded attempts, I was excited thinking it was going to be my best image yet! Sadly this wasn't the case, although I truly believe the data has potential, but my editting skills just don't. I've tried editting in both GIMP and startools multiple times. But I am struggling with the glow of the milky way, washing out half my picture and the crescent nebula area. In my best edit, which I will post, you can clearly see all of the nebula I was trying to pick up, but half of it is washed out. Advise on this will be greatly appreciated, on how to darken the glow of the milkyway without loosing data on the nebulas.

I also think flats would massively help, but still trying to find the right equipment to do this with. As always I will post my attempt, which was done in startools, and the TIFF incase anyone else would like to tackle this :D.

As always the details;

Canon 800D

iOptron Skyguider pro

Samyang 135mm

1 Hour and 30 Minutes of lights @ 60 second exposures.

25 Darks

25 Bias

sadr 1st edit.png

sadr3rd.TIF

Edited by Grant93
  • Like 4