Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SN 2021rhu: Bright Supernova in NGC 7814 (Caldwell 43)

I'm looking forward to having a look at this but, as clear and blue as the sky has been here today, it won't be tonight that I try. The clouds are due to roll in before midnight :(

The weekend looks promising though just before the Moon starts getting in the way!

• Like 1

The issue for me is that Pegasus does not clear the surrounding houses / trees until the early hours. Can't do a really late one tonight (though it is clear) so I'll hope the SN stays observable for a few days.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John said:

The issue for me is that Pegasus does not clear the surrounding houses / trees until the early hours. Can't do a really late one tonight (though it is clear) so I'll hope the SN stays observable for a few days.

They can last months., so fingers crossed 

• Thanks 1

I managed to observe this last night. It seemed brighter than mag 12.8 initially and I started to doubt I was seeing it. I did some testing on nearby stars of similar mag and decided it was about right. Very close to the centre of the host galaxy which gave a nice ghostly glow. Many thanks to@michael.h.f.wilkinson for the heads up. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Well done Neil I really must try and stay awake. Unfortunately it takes awhile for this galaxy to clear my rooftop.

Thanks Mark. It was only just above the rooftops when I caught it last night. It was around 00:40 so it’s bright enough that you don’t need it to get really high in the sky. 

2 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Well done Neil I really must try and stay awake. Unfortunately it takes awhile for this galaxy to clear my rooftop.

Well done indeed Neil :thumbright:

I have a similar problem to Mark - that corner of the square of Pegasus is visible for a while but it's low down at that point and affected by the Bristol light pollution, then it is behind conifers for a good 2-3 hours before being visible again, and better positioned for finding a galaxy of course :rolleyes2:

It sounds a good SN though - worth some effort :icon_biggrin:

• Thanks 1

Had a shot tonight.. had to wait until 02:30-ish before it rises over the house, so the sky was getting light again. Some high clouds were threatening too.

The galaxy NGC7814 was barely visible with averted vision. I really need to try this with a dark sky. Les' photo tied-in with Sky Safari and really helped locate it.

As I (avertedly) watched, a very faint point of light was popping in and out, at the centre of the galaxy. I think that was it, but can't be certain. No way I can try to estimate magnitude.

• Like 2

Here is my effort in capturing this supernova from this morning:

21 x 30 sec   250PDS Newt, ASI178 camera  Optolong L Pro Filter

It's easy to lose the SN in the galaxy's core by pushing to get more detail in the outer galaxy. So the galaxy remains subdued!

377666904_SN2021rhuNGC7814.thumb.jpg.af22b5863e890c02d2796887836f89be.jpg

Edited by Paul M
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, Paul M said:

Here is my effort in capturing this supernova from this morning:

21 x 30 sec   250PDS Newt, ASI178 camera  Optolong L Pro Filter

It's easy to lose the SN in the galaxy's core by pushing to get more detail in the outer galaxy. So the galaxy remains subdued!

377666904_SN2021rhuNGC7814.thumb.jpg.af22b5863e890c02d2796887836f89be.jpg

Looks great, Paul :) 

• Like 1

My effort from this morning with v poor seeing conditions. At least managed to grab the SN although C43 is virtualy lost to view in comparison with the image from 17th July.

Regards to all,

Les

IMG_7123 C43 & SN 2021rhu.jpg

• Like 4