Jump to content

sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

What is the history of the Gibraltar mount?


Recommended Posts

I have a very soft spot in my heart for Gibraltar and like to find out what I can about anything I see that references the rock.

I have recently seen items about Gibraltar mounts and cannot find where this stems from.

Has anyone out there got any idea?

Thanks,

Matt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only thing I know about them is that they were made by or made for TeleVue... but you knew that anyway!

A few years back I was going to purchase one... then these came along...

IMG_0580.thumb.JPG.fc6f227bf7e974dd59c6c96ea3f25fe2.JPG

Edited by Philip R
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess the name comes from 'Rock of Gibraltar' and was chosen for its connotations of immovable stability. To the American ear, in particular, it may also evoke Rock Hudson whose name combined Rock of Gibraltar with Hudson River. The actor's production company was called Gibraltar. Perhaps his combination of substance and elegance was behind the choice of name? Pure speculation!

Olly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I guess the name comes from 'Rock of Gibraltar' and was chosen for its connotations of immovable stability. To the American ear, in particular, it may also evoke Rock Hudson whose name combined Rock of Gibraltar with Hudson River. The actor's production company was called Gibraltar. Perhaps his combination of substance and elegance was behind the choice of name? Pure speculation!

Olly

Well you learn something everyday... I didn't know that and it sounds like the kind of trivia I'm surprised passed me by... 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, skyhog said:

Well you learn something everyday... I didn't know that and it sounds like the kind of trivia I'm surprised passed me by... 

I wouldn't volunteer such trivia without being asked!!!

🤣lly

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a Tele Vue Gibraltar for a while. It worked well with my 102mm F/6.5 refractor but not so well with scopes with longer tubes. I guess Tele Vue's refractors tend to be on the shorter side so it was designed with those in mind.

Not quite sure that I would liken the stability to the Rock of Gibraltar :icon_scratch:

I'm sure Olly is correct about the origins of the mounts name though.

Edited by John
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John said:

I had a Tele Vue Gibraltar for a while. It worked well with my 102mm F/6.5 refractor but not so well with scopes with longer tubes. I guess Tele Vue's refractors tend to be on the shorter side so it was designed with those in mind.

Not quite sure that I would liken the stability to the Rock of Gibraltar :icon_scratch:

I'm sure Olly is correct about the origins of the mounts name though.

It's an appealing mount in some ways but in others it's a bit maddening. It ought to be a quick thing to set up but it isn't. That free standing triangular tray/tripod leg spreader is a faff and invites you to drop the wing nuts in the dark and lose them. The truth is that I have ended up leaving mine outside more often than I should because I don't feel like undoing those tray bolts, collapsing the tripod and bringing it in. As a result it has become rather ratty!

In a nutshell I would like to like it more than I do but it gets on my wick.

Olly

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for your input folks.

I shall keep digging.

I did wonder if it was a name used as the mount was based on some military ordnance or optic mount from days of yore.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I bought my first astronomy magazine, back 1981, it was the American publication "Astronomy". I was mesmerized by the glossy adverts for Celestron, Meade, Coulter Optical, Unitron etc but did also notice a small advert in the back  pages for a company called "Tele Vue" selling their plossl eyepieces. What a naff name for an astro equipment company thought I, nobody's going to want stuff with that branding on it ! :rolleyes2:

Little did I know ........

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, John said:

When I bought my first astronomy magazine, back 1981, it was the American publication "Astronomy". I was mesmerized by the glossy adverts for Celestron, Meade, Coulter Optical, Unitron etc but did also notice a small advert in the back  pages for a company called "Tele Vue" selling their plossl eyepieces. What a naff name for an astro equipment company thought I, nobody's going to want stuff with that branding on it ! :rolleyes2:

Little did I know ........

 

As a former English teacher I have an in-bred hostility towards names making deliberate spelling mistakes. This does not mean that my 13mm Ethos will ever be for sale.

:Dlly

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

As a former English teacher I have an in-bred hostility towards names making deliberate spelling mistakes. This does not mean that my 13mm Ethos will ever be for sale.

:Dlly

Tele Vue? But that’s a French name.

🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Tele Vue? But that’s a French name.

🤔

I confess that this hadn't occurred to me.  Vue is a feminine noun meaning view, which looks promising until you consider that the prefix télé in French requires two accents, both of which are strikingly absent from the brand name.  So you haven't let Al Nagler off the hook, here, you've raised the charge against him to that of making deliberate spelling mistakes in two languages simultaneously!

Heinous!  (But quite impressive...)

Olly

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, John said:

This was what Tele Vue produced in 1977, which might explain the company name:

TVO_History_Tele-Kit_Setup-1.jpg.052009c7bfe7ca50f25a0d5f36c349f5.jpg

What is it?

Olly

Edit: ... apart from being the only TeleVue product I've ever seen which left my wallet fingers undisturbed!

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it a way of projecting the image from a tv screen onto a large white display screen? Precursor of a Beamer that allows you to project from a computer

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.