Imaging the Eastern veil nebula.

I am planning imaging the Eastern veil nebula. This will be done using a modified DSLR, heq5 pro mount, ed72 refractor. The question being would it be best imaging this in narrowband using an L-Enhance filter so imaging in Ha, Hb and O3.

Or image it in RBG using my cls-ccd light pollution filter.

The skies are bortle 8.

My thoughts are maybe to do it in narrowband and then blend in RGB for better star colours??

Your thoughts?

Edited by Chefgage

weird. my kit is setup to do that exact thing tonight and over next few nights. canon 6d modified, 300mm L F4 canon lens.

I'm bortle 6. My plan is to use my 2" L-extreme on the end of my canon lens. It's 77mm. I've used down step rings to take me down to the 48mm of the l-extreme which is popped on the end.

So basically that's shutting the aperture down to 48mm too. I've never tried that before, so all a bit of an experiment.

I have shot others like north america with my UHC FF clip in filter and they have come out nicely, but I'd have thought you'd get better results with your L-enhance. But I'm pretty new so only my guess. Be good to compare our results later ?

stu

• Like 1

Sounds good, thanks. Yes that's a good idea to compare results.  Bit jealous of your bortle 6 skies, although sometimes clear outside says my skys are bortle 5. They definelty are not unless everyone and the steel works switches the lights off at night :)

Edited by Chefgage
  • Haha 1

Mmmmmm.  Well I am sat inside now after getting everything set up, nicely framed, got dithering working (first time trying) and then the clouds rolled in!!!  Going to give it another 10 to 20 minutes and then take everything back in.

13 hours ago, powerlord said:

UHC FF clip in filter and they have come out nicely, but I'd have thought you'd get better results with your L-enhance

We prefer the UHC over the l-enhance. The former producing vibrant green/blue rather than lifeless pastel turquoise.

Cheer and HTH

Oh, good to know. My experiment failed last night due to tons of cloud delaying me setting up my main rig, and then as my rig that had the DSLR on was all new astroberry attempt, I ran into issues controlling the mount (azgti).

I'll be trying again tonight.

Hi. Sorry for hijacking the thread. I've been thinking of imaging this target myself, I have a modified 600d and evostar 80ed but no filter at the moment. Is this target doable without a filter? (I live in a bortle 4/5 zone)

Thanks

Dafydd

8 minutes ago, Daf1983 said:

Hi. Sorry for hijacking the thread. I've been thinking of imaging this target myself, I have a modified 600d and evostar 80ed but no filter at the moment. Is this target doable without a filter? (I live in a bortle 4/5 zone)

Its most certainly doable. Filters just enhance the output.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Daf1983 said:

Thanks

Dafydd

I have used an 80ED and 600D Astromodified with no filter on the veil , also in Bortle4/5 , and got not too bad a result despite there being moon out, so I would say a yes to that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Daf1983 said:

without a filter

Yeah, of course. But the uhc filters are available under €30 (AliExpress) and serve not only to enhance the blue/green, they also prevent the field being awash with  stars. Keep some unfiltered frames (a few of 30s will do it) if you want to restore star colour.

Cheers

Edited by alacant
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, powerlord said:

Oh, good to know. My experiment failed last night due to tons of cloud delaying me setting up my main rig, and then as my rig that had the DSLR on was all new astroberry attempt, I ran into issues controlling the mount (azgti).

I'll be trying again tonight.

Well mine did too. Still happy I was out there learning to reduce my setup time. Going out shortly to get it all set up again to try again tonight.