Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Virgin Galactic Launch Today Sun 11 Jul

saac

Yes, certainly wish them luck. I think this "billionaire space race" is interesting to watch as it unfolds. I haven't really followed it too closely but it seems Branson moved the launch forward once he knew the date of Mr Amazon's launch. Also a line from Mr Bezos that this doesn't qualify as 'space'. A trip into space then back to catch the football.. 😁

2 hours ago, saac said:

Good luck to Richard Branson and the team at Virgin Galactic .  Launch at 1400 BST - should be back on terra firma to see England win the Euros :) 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57790040

On line stream here http://www.virgingalactic.com/

Jim 

Thanks for that, it’s also being covered on Bloomberg HD Sky News channel 502

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

What are either doing to offset the carbon footprints of these projects and flights.

"We have reduced the (carbon emission) cost of somebody going into space from something like two weeks of New York's electricity supply... to less than the cost of an economy round-trip from Singapore to London," Branson told reporters in Singapore.

Branson's Virgin Group and Virgin Green Fund last October announced plans to form a $200 million emerging markets fund with Russia's Rosnano Capitol to invest in innovations and green technologies.

The Carbon War Room which he formed with other global entrepreneurs , aims to empower industries to find market-based incentives to reduce carbon emissions."

Extracted from https://www.industryweek.com/the-economy/environment/article/21960227/space-tourism-wont-hurt-environment-branson

Jim 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

My question is,

If offered a free ride on this one, would you take it?

What? Sqoozed into a small container with Branson? I'd rather eat my own kidney!🤮

1 hour ago, Astro Noodles said:

Not bad for a guy who started off by selling second hand records out of a cardboard box.

I have nothing but admiration for any of these self made billionaires...

Alan

• Like 1

At what altitude can you say you touched the edge of space? my best effort was on board a Korean airlines 747 flying over Russia at 52,000 feet due to the missile threat at the time, still got buzzed by a couple of Migs..

Alan

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I found that quite emotional, another small step for man...

Alan

Same here Alan , watching it with my 17 year old daughter.  I've been following the Virgin Galactic project since its inauguration back in 2004 through success , failure and tragedy.   The Unity space ship design (formally Spaceship 1) is a work of art: its reentry configuration is exceptionally clever.  When I was stationed at RAF Leuchars we hosted a visit from Burt Rutan, founder  of Scaled Composites and designer of Spaceship One which one the X prize: a very talented aerospace engineer and inspirational speaker .   Yes quite and emotional experience watching that - Alexa was playing Rocket Man in the background :) 

Jim 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

👍👍

Lived to see another moment in history!

Now, on to Mars before I'm gone!

Definitely , God willing.  Didn't New Mexico look stunning .  I'd imagine the space port there is worth a visit even without a flight up  - one for future planning I think.  

Jim 

• Like 1

Yes quite an achievement of non government controlled technology.
Don't forget though, they weren't waving to the ISS crew. At apogee they were only about 20% of the way there.
Then again, look at the 'rag and string' aircraft that were struggling to get over hedges just over 100 years ago, and after WW1 they were real flying machines.
I think in the next few years we are going to see significant strides in getting people and and cargo to low earth orbit.

• Like 1