SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL Starparties

SteveWolves

3 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

The wind went straight through me. Horrible. That was my first cold camp for a long, long time. Lessons learned!

Take a heater next time hopefully try sort something out for next March all being well with this covid. 

1 minute ago, wookie1965 said:

Take a heater next time hopefully try sort something out for next March all being well with this covid. 

I had a smashing little oil radiator but having never camped using electric, turned the blinkin' thing off to save leccy. I didn't need to there was loads left in the meter! 🙄

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

I had a smashing little oil radiator but having never camped using electric, turned the blinkin' thing off to save leccy. I didn't need to there was loads left in the meter! 🙄

Next time get extra electric if you have to and leave it on, ours stopped at 7am so we were up then but next time I won't run out again. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/07/2021 at 22:54, wookie1965 said:

Another start party would be good, especially as I've still got a fan heater and a chair (+ instant porridge) that I 'inherited' at Peak Star Party, March 2020 :)

• Like 2

I am looking at the new moon in April just trying figure out where to go and I have to get a new tent just sold my air tent, brilliant tent just took up to much room in the boot.

Better news out the blue this morning got my appointment for my epidural on the 23/9 this year hoping that will provide some relief from the pain in my back.

Be nice to catch up again Duncan

best wishes

Paul

• Like 4

Realistically, I reckon the next SGL star party is likely to be at the back end of Oct next year, with notifications in May, though I guess an April / March meet might be doable. 

3 hours ago, DaveS said:

Realistically, I reckon the next SGL star party is likely to be at the back end of Oct next year, with notifications in May, though I guess an April / March meet might be doable. 

Peak Star Party ἰἰ  we could have  the 1st of April  I have a couple of different campsites I may post and let people choose then we go with the majority.

4 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

I am looking at the new moon in April just trying figure out where to go and I have to get a new tent just sold my air tent, brilliant tent just took up to much room in the boot.

Better news out the blue this morning got my appointment for my epidural on the 23/9 this year hoping that will provide some relief from the pain in my back.

Be nice to catch up again Duncan

best wishes

Paul

What could go wrong with having a star party on April the 1st 😁 Good idea to have a few suggested sites.

Hope your epidural works and provides some long lasting pain relief.

Yes indeed, it would be great to have a catch up. So much has happened since March 2020 and I'm no longer a total astro novice (just a plain ordinary novice now).  

I still have my large tent and used it a few weeks ago for an astro week away. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pcdunx said:

What could go wrong with having a star party on April the 1st 😁 Good idea to have a few suggested sites.

Yes indeed, it would be great to have a catch up. So much has happened since March 2020 and I'm no longer a total astro novice (just a plain ordinary novice now).  

Brilliant I am looking at a vango icarus 500 dlx I will get the sites together let people have a look. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/08/2021 at 16:48, pcdunx said:

"...large tent..." is a slight understatement. More like a mobile bungalow!

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/08/2021 at 15:30, daz said:

Sorry chaps - just seen this message!

We're actually starting these conversations and talking to Lucksall over the next few weeks..

We'll update you as we get more info!!

I do hope something can be arranged, I have not yet attended a star party as the last two I had booked were cancelled either for flooding or covid so beginning to feel a bit of a Jonah 🐳.
I did intend to go to the Galloway or Kelling Heath but for one reason or other couldn't attend.

@daz Any chance we can start a new thread for 2022 with the hope then we shall get something arranged as it gets a bit depressing looking forward in a 2019 thread ?

Steve

If people are double jabbed, boosted, take sensible precautions and are willing to accept some risk, then it's reasonable to start looking ahead imho.

Football stadiums are jam packed each weekend with the maskless great unwashed but infection rates are dropping.

A clutch of amateur astronomers hanging around out doors next spring shouldn't impose that much risk, unless one is a Typhoid Mary! 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Never having attended one, Are SGL star parties camping only or are there lodges at the venue too?

I’m not a camper.

They have some glamping huts and pods for hire.

I used to take our caravan although I did camp for the first one that I went to - in my daughters tiny guide tent ! It was a clear but cold April and I have never spent such a cold night :rolleyes2:

After that it was our caravan, with a nice warm heater and comfy bed. Sadly sold a couple of years ago :sad:

Much of the star party could take place in a socially distanced manner but the moving from scope to scope enjoying the different views part might have to be compromised :icon_scratch:

Edited by John
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/09/2021 at 10:27, teoria_del_big_bang said:

@daz Any chance we can start a new thread for 2022 with the hope then we shall get something arranged as it gets a bit depressing looking forward in a 2019 thread ?

Steve

Yes chap! It would indeed be look to start looking forward!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1