SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Solarcan 1 year exposure - Result!

NiCo10

Delighted with my longest exposure yet, 1 year long, taken down yesterday. Wasn't quite sure what result I would get with this tiny little pinhole camera cable tied to my guttering. Think next time I'll try and angle it upwards so I can get all the summer days in fully. Anyone else had any results?

solar4thJulyFinal.png

• Like 23

That is quite spectacular..

Mines up on a clock tower until about the  19th July.  Thought I would go for March to Mid-Summer + 1 month.  

It is really difficult to know if you have positioned it well enough to get the high arcs and a bit of meaningful scenery as well.  I just guessed.

What did you do to 'process'  it ??    That's the bit that is worrying me.

Cheers,

Sean.

• Like 1

That’s a fabulous result! I reckon you had better weather than me as many of my traces are quite dim, presumably cloudy days.

This is mine which was up for 6 months.

My understanding is that it is better to put a pin hole higher up and cover the original up, rather than angling the can upwards. I will certainly try that next time.

@Craney, ‘processing’ is quite easy actually. Just open the can up in a darkened room, and then scan it (it suggests doing a scan first to warm the scanner up before putting the paper on). It looks pretty unremarkable until you invert the colours.

DEFFFBDE-DA1E-49D7-815D-CA8FB8861CF2.jpeg

3B9A27B5-2F09-4668-AE7F-A61EE6D2F73B.jpeg

• Like 7

@Craney Don't worry about processing, I found the paper isn't quite as fragile to light as I've scanned it a few times. Then invert the image, tweak with contrast and brightness and just play around till you like it. @Stu I think you are right about the pinhole being better higher up, I might try that. I was worried about angling it up because of water getting in, even though the hole is tiny which why I ended up placing it directly underneath my guttering to protect it from rain and wind buffering. Going to pop another one up next week but this time will try for just 6 months

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
9 hours ago, Astro_Dad said:

Just received an email alert from Go Stargazing about this - was curious to see if any forum members had tried it. Some impressive results above!

Not tried one but am quite tempted, they seem easier to use and obviously being reuseable is much better.