SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader Hyperion Zoom Eyepiece. Barlow question.

Hi, just ordered a BHZ MkIV and was wondering from those of you who have used it, will it work ok with any barlow(I have the Q barlow) or is it better to pair it with the dedicated Baader 2.25x zoom barlow? Thanks.

Edited by Franklin
grammer

Don’t see why it shouldn’t. Not yet tried with my other barlow (explore scientific) on mine as I got the Baader2.25x barlow to go with it in the deal from FLO. As long as you unscrew & take off the 2” part of the barrel then it should fit and work OK. Only had mine a few weeks so not much out time with it due to weather alas.

Edited by Knighty2112

Oh good. I was thinking of just using the optical element from the Q barlow for x1.3 but was not sure if the BHZ 1.25" nosepiece would have enough in space to accomadate it. I guess I'll just wait till I get it and have play. Thanks.

Hi Tim,

The Q barlow will work fine with the BHZ👍. It's actually optically excellent and I don't think there is much difference between the Q and the Hyperion Zoom in terms of performance.

The main difference is the build quality, which is definitely better in the Hyperion version, plus the cheaper Q version has only a set screw for retaining eyepieces in the body of the barlow - but as you seem to be planning to use mainly the screw in nosepiece end, it won't be a problem.

HTH,

Dave 

I have the matching Barlow and I am pleased with its performance. With the Skywatcher 200P, I do have to retract the BHZ about 5mm to achieve focus with the Barlow. Not a problem - I use the 2" adapter.