Skycam Sensor Temperature

kirkster501

Hey guys,

Built a Skycam from a RPi 4B and an ASI 120MC-S that I acquired as part of a recent purchase.  Still making a few tweaks to the skycam - I need to take it down and clean it because I have dust bunnies visible and some fluff on the sensor after I sealed the dome onto the top 🙄.  If you feel so inclined you can view my feeble effort at http://skycam.zapto.org/allsky

One thing I have noted is the temperature of the sensor under the acrylic dome that is presumably acting like a mini greenhouse.  The temp was 60C yesterday midday under the Sun.  Cools off quickly though to 40C or so and then back down to 15-20 or so overnight in these summer months. 

I just wondered if temps like that are liveable mid-long term for the camera?   It is only quite a [relatively] inexpensive ASI 120 but still, I would not want to be swapping out every few months due to failing sensor due to heat  My other alternative is to take it down over summer.

To those who have built skycams, what are your summer temps under the midday sun please?

Steve

• 1 month later...

During the heatwave a couple of weeks ago, my sensor was at 55degC indoors (very warm, 30 degrees + but not in the sun).

Also, the allsky software has been updated very recently (yesterday).

If you want to update, save all of your configuration information, delete the allsky and allsky-website folders and re-clone from github.

Then put your settings back in.

There are a few more features and bug fixes, and I'm pleased with the progress.

Here's a shot of practically solar transit time... No cooling, heating or anything, just the camera in a 3D printed temporary enclosure, taking a sub every 5 seconds.

You can see 58 degrees sensor temperature, plus some internal fogging from last night that hasn't / won't clear. Not sure what the air temperature is at home, probably 22 degrees or so.

It proves (what we already know) is that direct sunlight causes the greenhouse effect.

This is all on test, not a complete system yet. I'm working on an automatic RPi controller HVAC system for the enclosure, hopefully to regulate the internal temperature, humidy and inevitable external dew.

latest-image.thumb.jpg.affb9167e6bcf28f0649f30489d16e73.jpg

Edited by Jonk