SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

V1405 Nova

Adreneline

I'm a bit late to the Nova party but last night conditions were good enough to try to re-image a region I last imaged in July 2019.

I've done my best to process in the same way and achieve the same colours but it's really difficult.

Compare-2.thumb.png.186e497ef7b0053661594ff17e4ffede.png

Anyway - enough excuses - I was pretty pleased that Nova V1405 Cas is visible. I know I missed it at it's best and this image does definitely not stand up to close scrutiny. The 2019 image on the left was captured with a Canon 200mm + ASI1600MM; the 2021 image with a RedCat 250mm + ASI1600MM.

Classical nova like V1405 Cas are close binary stars comprised of a compact white dwarf and either a main-sequence star like our Sun or a red giant. The dwarf’s powerful gravity siphons hydrogen from its partner into an accretion disk. Material then funnels from the disk to the dwarf’s surface, where it’s compacted and heated to around 10 million Kelvin, hot enough to trigger explosive nuclear fusion. Only a relatively small amount of the stolen hydrogen burns; the majority of the material is blasted into space in a rapidly expanding shell. - taken from Sky & Telescope

This is my first attempt at a GIF animation - pretty crude I'm afraid.

1747761464_AnimatedGIF-downsized_large.gif.93288abc839a1e6b687a33fab96c1ed6.gif

Thanks for looking and aplogies for the quality of the images.

Adrian

Edited by Adreneline
Clarification & updated image & typo
  • Like 16

35 minutes ago, Craney said:

That's great. 

I do love a 'collection' of significant astro-objects within a single frame.

Thank you.

I wish I could have achieved a seamless transition in the gif between 2019 and 2021 images but I just couldn't seem to get there, probably because last night's OIII data was not very good. Glad you like it though.

Adrian

• Like 1

Great images.

Just showed this to my Astro obsessed 7 year old. He was very impressed to actually 'see' a nova. (Unfortunately when he gets older he will probably follow me down the AP rabbit hole, become destitute and end up living at home until he is fifty. Aaaarrrggghhhh!!!)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Clarkey said:

Great images.

Thank you!

Glad your young son enjoyed the show. Even my wife was impressed - actually that might be going too far - very interested.

I think it is interesting to see that space is not as 'static' as people imagine it to be.

Adrian

Edited by Adreneline
typo

22 hours ago, Adreneline said:

This is my first attempt at a GIF animation - pretty crude I'm afraid.

Very cool Adrian and the images & GIF look great.  Nice one matching the images so closely.

4 hours ago, Adreneline said:

Even my wife was impressed - actually that might be going to far - very interested.

😀 Sounds familiar.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, geeklee said:

Very cool Adrian and the images & GIF look great.  Nice one matching the images so closely.

Thank you Lee. Maybe with more time spent I could have got closer but the data was not that good really, especially the OIII.

Forecast is cloudy again tonight - and tomorrow - so I might try again just using the L stars. 🤔

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Thank you Lee. Maybe with more time spent I could have got closer but the data was not that good really, especially the OIII.

Forecast is cloudy again tonight - and tomorrow - so I might try again just using the L stars. 🤔

I think, with the image sizes presented, it's hard to tell apart from a slight colour difference - it's so well matched that the GIF works great.  The L shot could look good too!

It had me off to look at my own image of the area from late last year to see the "empty spot". 👍

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 1