Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stellarium slewing problem, in search of help

Chefliam

Hello fellow astronomers, I have come to the forums as I have depleted all other options.

I own an NEQ5 GoTo with a Skywatcher 72ED. I have connected the mount to my computer using an EQDIRECT cable. 

I am trying to use stellarium with ascom and eqmod to slew the mount to a desired object. I have configured my scope using the “telescope control” plugin in stellarium. In the past I had successfully achieved slewing through stellarium. 

The problem is that now, one month later, when opening stellarium and trying to slew the telescope to a selected object (using either the “slew telescope to” panel or the shortcut (control + 1)) the mount moves for a fraction of a second and then stops, stellarium freezes and then the scope indicator in stellarium slides quickly to the horizon, and EQMOD control panel displays “horizon limit horizon limit” error. (Let’s call this the “main failure mode”.)

Note that : 

I can use EQMOD and slew the scope manually without problem.  If using it in tandem with stellarium, when I do so the scope indicator in stellarium moves without issue.

I have used the “resync encoders” button on EQMOD to establish the home position, but this does not affect the behavior.

I can use ascom device hub to slew the scope manually without a problem as well. 

The main failure mode described above happens most of the time.  However, I sometimes get other erratic behavior in stellarium:

Sometimes, when trying to slew the scope in stellarium, the mount moves for a second then stops (as described above), yet the scope indicator in stellarium moves to the selected object not the horizon, then the mount starts to track (even though it has not yet slewed). 

Or, rarely, when trying to slew the scope in stellarium, the mount physically moves (seemingly to the object) and starts tracking, the scope indicator moves to the selected object -- appearing to work normally.  But then, when trying to slew the scope a second time to a different object, it fails again as described in the main failure mode above.

I have tried opening stellarium as administrator but I still get one of the three outcomes when trying to slew. 

Does anyone have any insight on this ? 

Try Clearing  all the sync data in Eqmod, check limits aren’t checked , update windows 10 , there was a bug in which pulse guide setting seem to be missing in Eqmod, updating windows 10 solves this  issue , if that doesn’t solve it check you are  running latest ascom drivers and latest Eqmod version.

Edited by bottletopburly

• 4 weeks later...

The problem has been sloved, I was a power issue (not enough amperage you do need 5 amps)

The insufficient power caused the motor controller box to malfunction and thus preventing the goto from working properly.