Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas Desk Edition And Telrad overlay +++Update and Template++++

Jiggy 67

Hi all,

I’m considering the purchase of this atlas but I want something I can use in conjunction with a Telrad overlay I have. 
The overlay I have is the one from the Sky Atlas 2000 Deluxe Edition.

Does anyone know if this overlay can be used with the Interstellarum atlas or would the scale be all wrong??

Edited by Jiggy 67

Scale is 15 mm per degree. 

The Sky atlas 2000 Deluxe has a scale of 8,2 mm per degree. 

But that said, the Interstellarum field edition is a really nice item to have next to your scope at night, it's really detailed. 

• Thanks 1

On 21/06/2021 at 10:30, Wiu-Wiu said:

Scale is 15 mm per degree. 

The Sky atlas 2000 Deluxe has a scale of 8,2 mm per degree. 

But that said, the Interstellarum field edition is a really nice item to have next to your scope at night, it's really detailed. 

So, forgive my ignorance and poor geometry skills here. 

If I was to draw three circles to the scale of a Telrad Finder as @PeterW suggests.....0.5 degrees, 2 degrees and 4 degrees and for that to match the scale of the Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas of 15mm per degree, I would set a compass at 7.5mm, 30mm and 60mm??........Is that correct??..........or am I just embarrassing myself 🤪

World the idsa not be a bit detailed for using with a telrad? Allot of what is shown you won't be able to see-maybe a smaller scale atlas would be more use? That being said I have it for use with my 8x50 finder and is the dogs!!!

4 minutes ago, popeye85 said:

World the idsa not be a bit detailed for using with a telrad? Allot of what is shown you won't be able to see-maybe a smaller scale atlas would be more use? That being said I have it for use with my 8x50 finder and is the dogs!!!

I get what you’re saying, but if you can’t see it, you can’t see it, it doesn’t stop you using a Telrad for what you can see…which is conveniently categorized for 4, 8 and 12 inch scopes. I already have the Sky Atlas 2000 but I wanted something a bit deeper and the IDSA is certainly that, it’s far more detailed than the Sky Atlas 2000……not as pretty though and a bit more difficult to find objects and navigate the charts but easier to handle at the scope 

Very true. To be honest I have both the interstellarium and the Cambridge star atlas and use both our in the field. I use the Cambridge in conjunction with my telrad to find my "starting" start and then jump on to the idsa and finder to hop my way to the target.

• Like 1

• Jiggy 67 changed the title to Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas Desk Edition And Telrad overlay +++Update and Template++++

Just a quick update for those Interstellarum users interested. 

I worked out the correct diameter of the circles required as 7.5mm, 3cm and 6cm. I tried creating concentric circles to those measurements on Windows at work......could I work it out??....No, not easy on Windows. So i did at home on Mac and it took literally 5 minutes. I sent the document to these.... https://www.ezeeplan.co.uk and they charged me £4 plus P&P to print it on to clear acetate.....The circles were correctly scaled....

This is the Telrad circles supplied with the Sky Atlas 200 on a Sky Atlas map:

366105504_SkyAtlas2000.thumb.jpg.17785ef80e7e539dee43373521f2349e.jpg

This is the same area of sky on SkySafari:

SkySafari.thumb.jpg.8e16495fd7eeb1161b577ac7ebddd7ec.jpg

And this is the homemade Interstellarum one:

Interstellarum.thumb.jpg.ff4ef63180fc61e9f7165af55e64512b.jpg

So i'm pretty made up I got everything right. Here is the correctly scaled template if anyone wants it:

Telrad Cicles.pdf

• Like 3