Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New AR rotating into view - 13th June 2021

Stu

I caught this yesterday afternoon, and have just had another look this morning, a nice new AR (2833 I assume) coming around the limb. Umbral and penumbra region with faculae surrounding it. Well worth a look.

I managed one poor shot last night and some slightly better this morning.

257C5178-ABCE-489C-BD82-7743D79C3F9B.jpeg

883524D9-5174-44BD-989D-44E96403EEF6.jpeg

7BC372D7-52EC-408B-8ABC-0F94E0C37285.jpeg

• Like 9

I got my 62mm spotting scope out today during the day and put a baader solar filter on the front, which I’ve had for a year but never used, until now. That feature you point out was amazingly clear this afternoon, had rotated into view, and had real depth to the “hole”. Amazing, actually. Is it a sunspot?

30 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

I got my 62mm spotting scope out today during the day and put a baader solar filter on the front, which I’ve had for a year but never used, until now. That feature you point out was amazingly clear this afternoon, had rotated into view, and had real depth to the “hole”. Amazing, actually. Is it a sunspot?

Good, wasn’t it? Yep, that’s a sunspot. When near the limb you are seeing them almost edge on so they appear foreshortened and you get the 3D effect of it seeming to be sunken in. This one has a nice dark central umbra and lighter penumbral area, plus the bright thread-like faculae surrounding it.

• Like 1

Had a quick look this morning. Seeing not great but it’s looking nice as it rotates further onto the disk. Nice classic sunspot.

I did spot a tiny pore at around 5 O’clock, about 1/3 of the way in from the limb (refractor view). Checking on SolarMonitor it shows there too. Surrounded by some swirling granulation, will be interesting to see if it develops or is just minor activity.

3FC2A612-9EAF-43B6-9665-E1CAEF14ABAB.jpeg