Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nova in Hercules?

Thanks for that. I'll have a look for it as well !

Interesting that the latest brightness estimate is pretty much the same as the nova that we have been keeping track of in Cassiopeia.

On 12/06/2021 at 18:26, woldsman said:

Just received an email reporting a supernova in Hercules:

http://www.cbat.eps.harvard.edu/unconf/followups/J18573095+1653396.html

Apologies if this is a crossposting. They must have cloud free skies in Japan but if you are lucky in your region, take a look.

Thanks for the heads up, will have a go at this as soon as conditions allow.

Wish I had taken another image of it last night, but I was getting eaten alive by mozzies! It was still clearly visible in my Telementor but had faded a lot from when I saw it on Saturday night.

D85CE4C4-428C-41E5-B556-FCBC1E833F3A.jpeg

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I was going to look for this tonight in my 10 x 50 Binoculars but at 8.6mag may be out of my range especially with my light pollution 

You should be able to bag this with your 10x50's :)

10 minutes ago, callisto said:

You should be able to bag this with your 10x50's :)

Just been out spotted M13 but I am lousy at star hoping especially with binoculars so I have probably skirted past it. Thought I had found FF Aql and 111 Her but I cannot be sure.

1 minute ago, wookie1965 said:

Just been out spotted M13 but I am lousy at star hoping especially with binoculars so I have probably skirted past it. Thought I had found FF Aql and 111 Her but I cannot be sure.

You probably have seen it without knowing...I do that a lot 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 14/06/2021 at 17:24, JeremyS said:

Don’t leave it too long: I’m afraid it’s fading fast:

Still not caught it yet Jeremy, was hoping to do it at the end of my run this last night . As usual the clouds cut every thing short.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Still worth following this nova in her while the field is well placed. Fading the mag 15 now, though, but perhaps leveling off:

1655884885_NHer2120210725.thumb.jpg.e2f5be36eee27076576012c173df6ada.jpg

This would have been interesting had I known about it when news broke, I'm willing to bet mag 15 is beyond my 4" ability, haven't really kept track of faintest stars I could see.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The latest light curve of this nova suggests nothing much happening. But actually it's receiving great interest from professionals. Prof Joe Patterson, at the Center for Backyard Astrophysics, points out that it is "still 7 mag above quiescence, when the big luminous shell still dominates, it is displaying periodic signals at 8 minutes and 3.2 hours."

At 15th mag it might be a bit faint for many, but certainly worth pursuing if you can.

1802647142_V1674Her_20210806.thumb.jpg.6f7036100aa35e1499f9139bb2bdeca3.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...