SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bright nova (mag. 6.4) in Hercules

6 hours ago, Grant93 said:

How do I go about putting them Coordinates into stellarium so I can find this tonight?

The Cas nova was added to Stellarium so maybe this will be as well.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Heard about this nova on this thread early this evening after a long, long day. Was in two minds whether to get the kit out or not...in the end  I made the effort. 

I managed to get some spectra subs taken on my 8" Newt with an Elliott Instruments CCDSPEC. I've had the thing for years..this will be the first time it's been used in anger. nova_aquilae_2021_ccdspec_10min.JPG.4c06774a31e6bf04402247ab5dd62f83.JPG

One raw sub shown below; hope I got the right star on the slit!

nova_aquilae_2021_ccdspec_10min_plot.JPG.15d67961b74e4641bbee149d88f6ec2b.JPG

I got about 60 min of data in total; Hopefully there might be enough to drag a few lines out of the noise and work out the expansion velocity once I've got the spectrometer calibrated in the morning. 

• Like 7

I read a thread about this yesterday evening and planned a quick stop of the suspected region in between subs. 

Raw image, 300s, Esprit 120. 

Brightest star in the frame (left) is FF AQL.

F3309BE3-A386-4E7E-91B6-F4531DD93534.thumb.jpeg.05a2f99b9cf842507eaa69bed4435914.jpeg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Stu said:

Hopefully this is it…

1FFFBA13-B293-4885-99A0-B2F029844ADB.jpeg

Great shot!

I lost my mojo over the last month after a big family upset but I've kept an eye on SGL .

Jeremy's alert got my attention and I studied the finder chart in the hope of having a go last night from up here in Cumbria. Bins or Ye Olde Fullerscope.

Anyway, increasing dusk brought solid cloud after a spectacular clear day...

So that was a fail. But your image contains the asterisms I'd memorised for locating this thing. Just like I was there!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Paul M said:

Great shot!

I lost my mojo over the last month after a big family upset but I've kept an eye on SGL .

Jeremy's alert got my attention and I studied the finder chart in the hope of having a go last night from up here in Cumbria. Bins or Ye Olde Fullerscope.

Anyway, increasing dusk brought solid cloud after a spectacular clear day...

So that was a fail. But your image contains the asterisms I'd memorised for locating this thing. Just like I was there!

Good stuff Paul. Family upsets are all too common but horrid! Had my fair share so can totally sympathise.

I hope you can use this as an excuse to get the scope out again 👍

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Astro Noodles said:

352x 10sec iso3200 taken between 22:47 and 01:34 12/13th June. 

Inked12062021_LI.thumb.jpg.d54a49137fada5365e4f5619cdca600a.jpg

Nice shot. Only 1173 times as long as my exposure 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Astro Noodles said:

Hi Stu

Is it likely to have got brighter between the time I started imaging and the time I finished?

No idea to be honest. I suspect it is still increasing in brightness but maybe not fast enough to show. Could you do a blink comparison between first and last exposure to see if you see any change?

4 minutes ago, Astro Noodles said:

Here are the first 12 and the last 12 subs. It is difficult to tell, but it might be a bit brighter.

To my eyes all the stars look brighter in your last 12 subs compared to your first 12 - so I think it was a change in local conditions (our atmosphere or your local pollution perhaps?) rather than a very rapid change in the nova brightness.
Good spot though - and nice captures :thumbright:

The latest obs I've seen in the last few hours show that the nova is fading quickly - about mag 7.3. It it will be important to see how it appears tonight.

As we know, you can get rebrightenings....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• JeremyS changed the title to Bright nova (mag. 6.4) in Hercules