SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Presentation on Power Away From Home

• New Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
I posted this over in the EEVA forum, but I think it will be of interest to a lot of folks doing all other types of astronomy as well.

I spent a large part of last year improving my setup for use in the field.  This included replacing my power hungry laptop with a mini-pc, adding a power and USB distribution hub to make everything neat and computer controlled, learning how to make Anderson PowerPole connectors, and, certainly the most time consuming aspect, testing several different lithium based power sources and solar panels to replace my lead acid batteries and gasoline generator while in the field.  I put all of my learning together into a presentation that I gave last Sunday night on The Astro Imaging Channel.  This video presentation is available to view on YouTube here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cCSPgtmd7U    I organized this around what I think are the 3 basic questions one needs to answer when designing a power setup for the field:

1.  How much power does one need

2  What are the latest in lithium based power options

3. What is a good way to connect everything

I hope others will find this helpful

Best Regards,

Curtis

• Like 2