SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Problem with "Anthology of Visual Double Stars" Argyle, Swan, James

Capricorn is missing.

The index has one entry for alpha Capricorni (Algiedi). The citation takes you the close of a discussion about epsilon Lyrae in which the stars are compared along with omega Scorpii and omicron Cygni as available naked eye to the sharp or fortunate observer. Nothing else in Capricorn is in the book. 

I photocopied a page out of Sue French's Celestial Sampler and put it into the Anthology where the data and narrative would go.

We are going to have clear skies here (finally!) but the forecasts are favorable only for early morning hours, midnight to sunrise. So, I started planning. Capricorn will be close to the meridian for me. Saturn will be in the constellation and Jupiter will be to the east. Capricorn has several doubles and M31. French says that she used 17X and was successful. So, I am going to go out this weekend and give it a try. But I was surprised and disappointed that Cambridge University Press and the authors let that oversight go to press.

• Like 2

• mikemarotta changed the title to Problem with "Anthology of Visual Double Stars" Argyle, Swan, James
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...