Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The partial solar eclipse from the Netherlands on 10 June 2021

inFINNity Deck

Today we were lucky to have splendid weather with good seeing and transparency. The observatory was running smoothly, with all four scopes pointed at the Sun:

- Lunt LS80THA collecting H-alpha data every 5 minutes for 30s (2200 frames);
- SkyWatcher Esprit 150ED with Baader ND5.0 foild collecting white-light data every 5 minutes for 20s (250 frames);
- Celestron C11 EdgeHD with Baader ND5.0 foil filter and polarising eyepiece/diagonal-filter in combination with TeleVue Panoptic 41mm for observing;
- Galilean type telescope with sketchboard for projection.

Using the two imaging scopes I managed to collect 306Gb of data in three hours time. The H-alpha part has now been processed in IMPPG in inverted mode:

Sun210610_animation.gif.a6677472b76562fae28e1ae46c48e0a0.gif

On both the western and eastern limb two proms are shooting away, while the Moon passes along.

Still to come are the normal mode and the white-light recordings.

Nicolàs

Edited by inFINNity Deck
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Well... here is the white-light version:

Sun210610_white-light_animation.gif.6015a3518ccce52ad2820fb4467b64cb.gif

The Moon's limb clearly showing peaks and valleys.

Forgot to mention in the first post that the first image of both animations was taken around 08:30UTC, the second at around 09:00UTC, all following frames 5 minutes later.

Nicolàs

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Hughsie said:

Lovely time lapses. I know from experience that a lot of work and processing has gone into a huge amount of data so bravo!

Thanks Hughsie,

Indeed quite a bit of work has gone into processing, more than those three hours needed to collect the data. This weekend I will add another time-lapse with the normal H-alpha data (so not inverted), just for the fun of it and to see if that looks nicer.😉

Nicolàs

Then here is the non-inverted animation from the Lunt images:

Sun210610_animation_normal.gif.4b1b2d00b701b28556c4fd01d773a996.gif

Two additional recordings were made around the time of first and second contact. From these the first contact was found to be at 09:18:11UTC (theoretically, according to Stellarium for our location, this would have been 09:17:55UTC) with an uncertainty due to undulation of 1 second. The second contact was found to be at around 11:31:45UTC (theoretically 11:31:26UTC) with an uncertainty of 3 seconds. So on average Stellarium calculated the contact 17.5 seconds too early. I should mention in this respect that the observatory computer is automatically time-synched every 256 seconds using an internet NIST-server and that I determined the position of the observatory with professional GPS-equipment with centimetre accuracy.

Nicolàs

• Like 2