SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

More Eclipse

petevasey

Like many others I was clouded out for much of the time.  But managed a bit of H-a as well as white light. so here are a couple of the former, one combined with a longer exposure to capture prominences.   Solarview 50 with GPCAM3 178M.  I was cloudy for the maximum eclipse, but also like others I was able to use a consumer camera - TZ70 on full 30x optical zoom to get a shot or two through the clouds (cropped from the full size).

Cheers,

Peter

Ha1011.jpg

Ha1217.jpg

Max.jpg

Edited by petevasey
  • Like 16

Just like to add:

Well done everyone who managed to get images.  Almost our last chance - there is another partial eclipse on October 25th 2022. Then that's our lot in the UK until 2090.  And even that one is only the far South West with the line of totality out at sea and the Sun (from the land 6.3 degrees altitude at totality) setting before the end of the eclipse. So get your grandchildren involved NOW!

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by petevasey
Added details for 2090
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, petevasey said:

Just like to add:

Well done everyone who managed to get images.  Almost our last chance - there is another partial eclipse on October 25th 2022. Then that's our lot in the UK until 2090.  And even that one is only the far South West with the line of totality out at sea and the Sun (from the land 6.3 degrees altitude at totality) setting before the end of the eclipse. So get your grandchildren involved NOW!

Cheers,

Peter

That is not quite correct, there should be a better one in 2025, and quite a few in this century. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_solar_eclipses_visible_from_the_United_Kingdom#21st_century_(AD_2001_–_2100)

Edited by Felias

9 hours ago, Felias said:

That is not quite correct, there should be a better one in 2025, and quite a few in this century. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_solar_eclipses_visible_from_the_United_Kingdom#21st_century_(AD_2001_–_2100)

'Not quite correct'.  What you really mean is 'What a load of rubbish!' 🙃  I humbly stand very much corrected.  My very weak defence is this.  One would think that Greenwich would have got it right!  I suppose they didn't want to fill the page up.  I should have spent some time looking at the eclipse charts in Skymap pro.

Thanks for correcting me - maybe after all I will get another unclouded partial eclipse before my time comes.

Cheers,

Peter

1 hour ago, petevasey said:

'Not quite correct'.  What you really mean is 'What a load of rubbish!' 🙃  I humbly stand very much corrected.  My very weak defence is this.  One would think that Greenwich would have got it right!  I suppose they didn't want to fill the page up.  I should have spent some time looking at the eclipse charts in Skymap pro.

Thanks for correcting me - maybe after all I will get another unclouded partial eclipse before my time comes.

Cheers,

Peter

😉😉

Hang in there until 2026 and it looks like there is an excellent partial eclipse in August.

7E9892C1-2D60-45C6-AB6B-5A6C1B85D74B.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stu said:

😉😉

Hang in there until 2026 and it looks like there is an excellent partial eclipse in August.

Yep, looks pretty good - 91% for me.  I'll be creaking a bit by then, just turned 83.  But with any luck the following year if I'm not with the :angel5: and still reasonably active and compos mentis , i'll hopefully be in the Valley of the Kings or thereabouts the day after my 84th birthday.  Nice birthday present and to h*ll with  the cost of travel insurance!  I was sorely tempted to go to Novosibirsk in 2008 - bang on my 65th birthday.  But other plans intervened, and a pretty short totality.  Luxor will be very different.

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 2

3 hours ago, petevasey said:

Yep, looks pretty good - 91% for me.  I'll be creaking a bit by then, just turned 83.  But with any luck the following year if I'm not with the :angel5: and still reasonably active and compos mentis , i'll hopefully be in the Valley of the Kings or thereabouts the day after my 84th birthday.  Nice birthday present and to h*ll with  the cost of travel insurance!  I was sorely tempted to go to Novosibirsk in 2008 - bang on my 65th birthday.  But other plans intervened, and a pretty short totality.  Luxor will be very different.

Cheers,

Peter

Sounds amazing! 👍

18 hours ago, petevasey said:

Just like to add:

Cheers,

Peter

Is that correct, I can't believe that there isn't another Partial Solar Eclipse visible from the UK after October next year, until 2090.

In fact surely the total eclipse that's visible from Spain and Egypt in 2026, must be visible as a partial eclipse from Britain.

John 

John 

Edited by johnturley

3 minutes ago, johnturley said:

Is that correct, I can't believe that there isn't another Partial Solar Eclipse visible from the UK after October next year, until 2090.

John 

No, not correct. There is one next year, and a much more significant one in 2026 👍👍

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

Actually I’ve just noticed that in 2026 there is a total eclipse visible in Iceland! Might have to plan a trip for that 👍👍

Probably will coincide with a volcanic eruption. 😁

Edited by johninderby

3 hours ago, Astro Noodles said:

Maybe what Peter is saying is that's the last one you will actually be able to see until 2090 because of the lousy weather. 😄

Not the case I'm afraid.  Just misled by the link I posted earlier.  Sorry about that!  But you're probably right - clouds rule OK!

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 1