Narrowband

advice on a raspberry pi 4

I'd definitely +1 KStars/Ekos and the Raspberry Pi route - I've had a Pi4 on the 'scope for a long while now and it works great. Personally, because I prefer to run KStars on something that's "always on" and INDIserver on the scope itself I have a second RPi4 sat in the house which runs a remote desktop via VNC for KStars/Ekos, and the Pi4 on the scope just runs indiweb/indiserver on start. Apply power to the scope, start up KStars/Ekos, hit connect and I can be imaging in minutes - it works really well. I plate solve on the Pi without issue (and at 0.5"/px, so at the "difficult" end of plate solving!) and use PHD2 as the guiding software.  For the Pi on the scope I used a random metal project box from Maplin (RIP) with a bit of plastic offcut to provide a "platform" for the Pi and keep it off any metal (I covered the other surfaces in Kapton tape for good measure). The whole box has a velcro strip on the bottom to adhere to the scope's velcro hooks.

I also use PHD2 for drift alignment - I haven't used Ekos for PA but find that a Polemaster for rough alignment and PHD2 for precise drift alignment works really well (to the point that the biggest ongoing issue I have is actually the ground moving under the telescope - really must sort a pier!) and it's very easy to do.

By having the remote desktop Pi running KStars/Ekos I just VNC into that from either my desktop or a laptop or tablet and get the same "state" so I can view the same thing in alignment or imaging from either my laptop or desktop or even my phone which is great for keeping an eye on things but also makes for easy PA as I can take the laptop out if I have to do drift alignment which will take a while or just use my phone if I want to see if everything's OK sat on the sofa!

In practice with the Pi4 you can do this "all in one" these days rather than having two Pis, but either way they're great hardware and more than up to all of the most complex AP requirements.

The only thing I'd say on PA would be that if you need to do it quickly then a Polemaster is hard to beat for that "pretty good" alignment, assuming you have a modest laptop with you as a control surface. If you're setting up fresh every day it's a good route. If you're setting up once and leaving things in situ, then PHD2/KStars/Ekos is all you need.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

what sort of experience does stellamate give the mobile client ? As far as I can tell it requires VNC, so its exposing a desktop client to a mobile device ?

I've not used it, and would be interested in peoples view if it's worth getting to play with (I've got the keyboard form pi4 for amiga emulation). Feels like it's not going to be anything like as user friendly as asiair pro. Much much more features of course, but if my understanding above is correct I wouldn't want to be fannying around with that every night - but sounds like a good option for experts or for the odd time you need something particularily tricky and outside the bounds of the exposed asiair stuff.

stu

8 hours ago, discardedastro said:

The only thing I'd say on PA would be that if you need to do it quickly then a Polemaster is hard to beat for that "pretty good" alignment, assuming you have a modest laptop with you as a control surface

Yes polemaster keeps lingering in my mind also and see it a lot being used on the az gti in EQ mode. My setup would be fresh every session as I image from a communal area outside my 1st floor flat so thus sounds good also, thank you 👍

9 hours ago, discardedastro said:

I'd definitely +1 KStars/Ekos and the Raspberry Pi route - I've had a Pi4 on the 'scope for a long while now and it works great. Personally, because I prefer to run KStars on something that's "always on" and INDIserver on the scope itself I have a second RPi4 sat in the house which runs a remote desktop via VNC for KStars/Ekos, and the Pi4 on the scope just runs indiweb/indiserver on start. Apply power to the scope, start up KStars/Ekos, hit connect and I can be imaging in minutes - it works really well. I plate solve on the Pi without issue (and at 0.5"/px, so at the "difficult" end of plate solving!) and use PHD2 as the guiding software.  For the Pi on the scope I used a random metal project box from Maplin (RIP) with a bit of plastic offcut to provide a "platform" for the Pi and keep it off any metal (I covered the other surfaces in Kapton tape for good measure). The whole box has a velcro strip on the bottom to adhere to the scope's velcro hooks.

I also use PHD2 for drift alignment - I haven't used Ekos for PA but find that a Polemaster for rough alignment and PHD2 for precise drift alignment works really well (to the point that the biggest ongoing issue I have is actually the ground moving under the telescope - really must sort a pier!) and it's very easy to do.

By having the remote desktop Pi running KStars/Ekos I just VNC into that from either my desktop or a laptop or tablet and get the same "state" so I can view the same thing in alignment or imaging from either my laptop or desktop or even my phone which is great for keeping an eye on things but also makes for easy PA as I can take the laptop out if I have to do drift alignment which will take a while or just use my phone if I want to see if everything's OK sat on the sofa!

In practice with the Pi4 you can do this "all in one" these days rather than having two Pis, but either way they're great hardware and more than up to all of the most complex AP requirements.

The only thing I'd say on PA would be that if you need to do it quickly then a Polemaster is hard to beat for that "pretty good" alignment, assuming you have a modest laptop with you as a control surface. If you're setting up fresh every day it's a good route. If you're setting up once and leaving things in situ, then PHD2/KStars/Ekos is all you need.

Can I ask why you use another RPI in the house, and not your normal indoor PC, and then run Kstars / Ekos on that…?

I have an RPI on the mount and it runs it all, and I just VNC into it from a PC in the house….

Edited by Stuart1971

I must admit that I sneak out with a Windows laptop + sharpcap for PA and then use a Pi4+Ekos for imaging. Only because I've got the Sharpcap routine down to a couple of minutes and it works. I find the VNC over wireless a little choppy, but I will have a go next time!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Can I ask why you use another RPI in the house, and not your normal indoor PC, and then run Kstars / Ekos on that…?

I have an RPI on the mount and it runs it all, and I just VNC into it from a PC in the house….

The scope sits outside 24/7/365 under cover, but doesn't have permanent power, so by running KStars on the Pi indoors I have all the data accessible to transfer off to the NAS long after I've shut down the scope in the wee hours, and can hop on it at any point to fiddle with KStars etc on simulators and so on even if the scope's off.

I much prefer Linux for stability and updates for KStars versus Windows, and since it's all the same platform (Arch) I can keep INDI etc on both devices updated in version lockstep. I used to use a Linux laptop for the indoors portion but having a dedicated device made more sense to me because that laptop sometimes ended up doing other bits and pieces, and the Pi's much more energy-efficient.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, discardedastro said:

The scope sits outside 24/7/365 under cover, but doesn't have permanent power, so by running KStars on the Pi indoors I have all the data accessible to transfer off to the NAS long after I've shut down the scope in the wee hours, and can hop on it at any point to fiddle with KStars etc on simulators and so on even if the scope's off.

I much prefer Linux for stability and updates for KStars versus Windows, and since it's all the same platform (Arch) I can keep INDI etc on both devices updated in version lockstep. I used to use a Linux laptop for the indoors portion but having a dedicated device made more sense to me because that laptop sometimes ended up doing other bits and pieces, and the Pi's much more energy-efficient.

I must admit I did consider running your way a while back, as I use a 4k 28” monitor and over VNC 4k is useless, so had to settle for just 2k..

But your way I could run the indoor RPI on 4k connected directly to my monitor, with Kstars / Ekos running,mand then the RPI on the mount just as INdI server….🤔🤔

I though about one of the new RPI 400 that’s built into its own keyboard, but they only do them with. 4gb of RAM and not 8…

Edited by Stuart1971

2 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

I must admit I did consider running your way a while back, as I use a 4k 28” monitor and over VNC 4k is useless, so had to settle for just 2k..

But your way I could run the indoor RPI on 4k connected directly to my monitor, with Kstars / Ekos running,mand then the RPI on the mount just as INdI server….🤔🤔

49 minutes ago, discardedastro said:

I do have mine in a small obsy…the RPI is between the two dovetails under the TAK 60mm guidescope, next to the Pegasus UPB 

F684DA5C-095F-43D4-BAF7-C6AAFB1D5BDC.jpeg

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

I though about one of the new RPI 400 that’s built into its own keyboard, but they only do them with. 4gb of RAM and not 8…

To be fair the full stack uses nowhere near 4GB of RAM in my experience, even with reasonably high-res imaging (I'm using a 183MM-PRO and 174MM guider), so you'd do fine with a Pi400. I went for an Argon ONE case which has a neat USB-to-SATA bottom plate for a 500G SATA SSD which I use as a cache volume (there's a daily rsync job that shoves everything to the real filestore when nothing's busy, which is 30TB usable of ZFS RAIDZ3 in the garage in a big Supermicro JBOD).

Throwing a screen on at least so I can glance at it is something I've considered but I'm pretty tight on space - I think what I am going to do is pop it next to the TV so I can use a spare HDMI input there for monitoring at night. I find 1440p (which is what I use) works fine over VNC, but 4k would be a push; at that point the Pi will mostly be spending CPU cycles drawing KStars and encoding it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

This is interesting, you can now run the RPI OS on a normal PC…..

https://www.raspberrypi.org/software/raspberry-pi-desktop/

It is basically Debian, so in a way you've been able to do this for far longer than there's been a Raspberry Pi 😉 but nice to have the "usual" RPi desktop for some users I guess.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, discardedastro said:

To be fair the full stack uses nowhere near 4GB of RAM in my experience, even with reasonably high-res imaging (I'm using a 183MM-PRO and 174MM guider), so you'd do fine with a Pi400. I went for an Argon ONE case which has a neat USB-to-SATA bottom plate for a 500G SATA SSD which I use as a cache volume (there's a daily rsync job that shoves everything to the real filestore when nothing's busy, which is 30TB usable of ZFS RAIDZ3 in the garage in a big Supermicro JBOD).

Throwing a screen on at least so I can glance at it is something I've considered but I'm pretty tight on space - I think what I am going to do is pop it next to the TV so I can use a spare HDMI input there for monitoring at night. I find 1440p (which is what I use) works fine over VNC, but 4k would be a push; at that point the Pi will mostly be spending CPU cycles drawing KStars and encoding it!

So do you run the full OS on the indoor PI from an SSD or still run from an SD card…? Sorry am not as computer savy as some….☹️

Edited by Stuart1971

1 hour ago, rnobleeddy said:

I must admit that I sneak out with a Windows laptop + sharpcap for PA and then use a Pi4+Ekos for imaging

What I think I'm going to do for now. I've bought a zwo 30mm guidescope from fellow member @Iceman120and if my polar scope attachment doesn't work then connect this guidescope and zwo asi120mc-s to do my PA in sharcap with my laptop and then turn off laptop and just image with my dslr. In the communal area where I image I have no access to electricity so my laptop battery wouldn't last a night's imaging, so think this is the best for now and continue to research the pi4 route. Thank you for all your help and hope this doesn't sound like a cop out. Clear skies 

Edited by AstroNebulee

1 hour ago, AstroNebulee said:

What I think I'm going to do for now. I've bought a zwo 30mm guidescope from fellow member @Iceman120and if my polar scope attachment doesn't work then connect this guidescope and zwo asi120mc-s to do my PA in sharcap with my laptop and then turn off laptop and just image with my dslr. In the communal area where I image I have no access to electricity so my laptop battery wouldn't last a night's imaging, so think this is the best for now and continue to research the pi4 route. Thank you for all your help and hope this doesn't sound like a cop out. Clear skies 

For me this isn't based on any issue with EKOS or the Pi - just that because I work in the house (once aligned) I'd need to take a laptop outside anyway. For what I use it for -  I cannot praise the Pi4 + EKOS highly enough. It's superb free software, and IMHO, preferable and easier to use than the Windows/ASCOM route.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, rnobleeddy said:

For me this isn't based on any issue with EKOS or the Pi - just that because I work in the house (once aligned) I'd need to take a laptop outside anyway. For what I use it for -  I cannot praise the Pi4 + EKOS highly enough. It's superb free software, and IMHO, preferable and easier to use than the Windows/ASCOM route.

For sure…..totally agree….👍🏼

just a note - that there is a asiair for sale now in for sale section.

I will come back to the type of user you are: IF you want every bell and whistle, and are prepared to spend the time learning everything there is no doubt stellarmate or the equiv self build will be better for you. IF you prefer something that is much simpler, and confines you to the ZWO ecosystem (mount and DSLRs accepted), then the ASIAIR is hands down the better solution.

Like anything else - it's horses for courses. I'm an IT consultant, and stuff like this is my bread and butter but for now at least - with only a few months imaging under my belt - I'm finding the ASIAIR PRO to be a godsend.

I bought an old laptop to try EKOS/PHD2, etc (Im a mac only household) and play with it, but for what I want right now as a beginner, I do not need or want to complexity of all those bits of bobs not properly talking to each other, etc. There may come a time when I outgrow the ASIAIR, but I think identifying the type of user you are now is key to making your life easy. If it's something you dread farting around with every night, that's not going to be enjoyable.

I do think ZWO are taking the p1ss a bit with the price of the PRO. If they'd kept it about 150 quid, that would be a fair price imho for what it is (pi4, case, power distro and licence), but it's a small market, and they know they have a uniquely good solution so at the end of the day you can't blame em for milking the price.

I sound like a ZWO influencer/shill here ! 

Another thing to remember is your expert astro imager is a cut above your standard user in terms of computer skills - they have had to master the most atrocious software ever written by humans* - things like pixinsight, sirl, etc - software which is the real world would not have gotten off the drawing board with those UX and docs. So after that,coping with linux on a pi, and installing loads of bits of seperate software and configuring it all is a walk in the park. Don't let that fool you into thinking it's easy.

stu

*frankly I'm unconvinced it was written by humans - my money is on some sort of alien who was given an PC and told to write it without access to any other example software at all.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, powerlord said:

just a note - that there is a asiair for sale now in for sale section.

I will come back to the type of user you are: IF you want every bell and whistle, and are prepared to spend the time learning everything there is no doubt stellarmate or the equiv self build will be better for you. IF you prefer something that is much simpler, and confines you to the ZWO ecosystem (mount and DSLRs accepted), then the ASIAIR is hands down the better solution.

Like anything else - it's horses for courses. I'm an IT consultant, and stuff like this is my bread and butter but for now at least - with only a few months imaging under my belt - I'm finding the ASIAIR PRO to be a godsend.

I bought an old laptop to try EKOS/PHD2, etc (Im a mac only household) and play with it, but for what I want right now as a beginner, I do not need or want to complexity of all those bits of bobs not properly talking to each other, etc. There may come a time when I outgrow the ASIAIR, but I think identifying the type of user you are now is key to making your life easy. If it's something you dread farting around with every night, that's not going to be enjoyable.

I do think ZWO are taking the p1ss a bit with the price of the PRO. If they'd kept it about 150 quid, that would be a fair price imho for what it is (pi4, case, power distro and licence), but it's a small market, and they know they have a uniquely good solution so at the end of the day you can't blame em for milking the price.

I sound like a ZWO influencer/shill here ! 

Another thing to remember is your expert astro imager is a cut above your standard user in terms of computer skills - they have had to master the most atrocious software ever written by humans* - things like pixinsight, sirl, etc - software which is the real world would not have gotten off the drawing board with those UX and docs. So after that,coping with linux on a pi, and installing loads of bits of seperate software and configuring it all is a walk in the park. Don't let that fool you into thinking it's easy.

stu

*frankly I'm unconvinced it was written by humans - my money is on some sort of alien who was given an PC and told to write it without access to any other example software at all.

Don’t agree at all, SM and Astroberry are as simple or even easer than ASIair, and they work with all cameras and kit, download image file, burn to SD card put in RPI and done, so there is just no comparison, and Astroberry is free, so once you bought an RPI 4 and a case £80 that’s it….compared to £300 plus for the ASIair pro….

Its interesting how individual experiences differ. I read the glowing reports on raspberrypi so gave it a go using Stellarmate. I got it to work for most of my equipment but it was never reliable. The pi now sits in my all sky camera and once it connects (sometimes after a couple of attempts) its ok.

In the end I went for a Minix mini pc with windows 10 pro. With the external antenna its Wi-Fi range is excellent and it runs windows remote desktop. The software I use is two sessions of Sharpcap, Zwo or Atik cameras, zwo filter wheel, Hitecastro DC or stepper motor focuser, Pulsar dome control and EQMOD mount control.

Runs in addition to all that the CdC planetarium and Ansvr plate solving (with 8gb of data files). The Minix runs off 12 volts and once booted pulls 0.6 of an amp.

I find it bullet proof.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomatobro said:

Its interesting how individual experiences differ. I read the glowing reports on raspberrypi so gave it a go using Stellarmate. I got it to work for most of my equipment but it was never reliable. The pi now sits in my all sky camera and once it connects (sometimes after a couple of attempts) its ok.

In the end I went for a Minix mini pc with windows 10 pro. With the external antenna its Wi-Fi range is excellent and it runs windows remote desktop. The software I use is two sessions of Sharpcap, Zwo or Atik cameras, zwo filter wheel, Hitecastro DC or stepper motor focuser, Pulsar dome control and EQMOD mount control.

Runs in addition to all that the CdC planetarium and Ansvr plate solving (with 8gb of data files). The Minix runs off 12 volts and once booted pulls 0.6 of an amp.

I find it bullet proof.

The problems you had with the RPI is power and Wi-Fi issues, these are all too common, the internal Wi-Fi is not so good, and an external dongle is a good upgrade, also a 4 amp minimum power supply makes a huge difference, and thirdly the USB ports on the RPI are a bit underpowered, and so a powered USB hub is a must if you are going to add items that DONT have there own power supply's….if these runs are followed it works perfectly…well mine has for three years…

These rules can also be true of the ASIair as it’s just the same RPI and the same software with an ASI added front end….👍🏼

OK, I've not used them - only read others experiences, which were very different from yours. Astroberry being very unstable and lacking in updates, etc. People giving up with AB/SM after struggling for ages.

I did look for a really in depth comparison between the three, but couldn't really find one. So, the above is simply my opinion based on those other posts people have written, and using the software myself (which is the same whether pc/mac/linux). And that was far far far from plug and play as far as my experience was concerned. 

Just a small note, that it is not exactly the same- the ASIAIR has a power management board with 12v outputs, all controllable by software. So if comparing like for like, you should account for the cost of buying/building such a board ?

And from a UI point of view though I'd argue there really are horses for courses. It may not matter to you, but the ASIAIR mobile app was key to my purchasing decision. I have no wish to try to use desktop apps over VNC on a mobile device. The fact you are happy to, and like it, kinda proves my point does it not ? you are a different type of user from me. You have different priorities. No right or wrong general choice, just whats best for that user type ?

Maybe I'll try AB and do a comparison - maybe useful for others. I have no affiliation from ZWO, so other than like it, I'd have no problem at all being impartial and coming out thinking AB is better. I'd like to try SM too, but I'm not paying $50 just to evaluate it. But my feeling looking at specs, UI, etc is that its just not the same thing at all as you say - but for me as a user, that means ASIAIR is better for me - mainly due to the mobile app.

atb

stu

42 minutes ago, powerlord said:

OK, I've not used them - only read others experiences, which were very different from yours. Astroberry being very unstable and lacking in updates, etc. People giving up with AB/SM after struggling for ages.

I did look for a really in depth comparison between the three, but couldn't really find one. So, the above is simply my opinion based on those other posts people have written, and using the software myself (which is the same whether pc/mac/linux). And that was far far far from plug and play as far as my experience was concerned. 

Just a small note, that it is not exactly the same- the ASIAIR has a power management board with 12v outputs, all controllable by software. So if comparing like for like, you should account for the cost of buying/building such a board ?

And from a UI point of view though I'd argue there really are horses for courses. It may not matter to you, but the ASIAIR mobile app was key to my purchasing decision. I have no wish to try to use desktop apps over VNC on a mobile device. The fact you are happy to, and like it, kinda proves my point does it not ? you are a different type of user from me. You have different priorities. No right or wrong general choice, just whats best for that user type ?

Maybe I'll try AB and do a comparison - maybe useful for others. I have no affiliation from ZWO, so other than like it, I'd have no problem at all being impartial and coming out thinking AB is better. I'd like to try SM too, but I'm not paying $50 just to evaluate it. But my feeling looking at specs, UI, etc is that its just not the same thing at all as you say - but for me as a user, that means ASIAIR is better for me - mainly due to the mobile app.

atb

stu

The SM app is far better also than the ASIair offering, try it and see, like I said above the instabilities comes from certain things….overcome these and all is good, I have both AB and SM and TBH AB is better, quicker and yes the updates are not as often, but that is for a reason, the author waits until a new version is fully stable before updating his PPA….which I like, as with all open source software it’s updated a lot by many different people….I always stay two versions behind and this in turn gives me a very stable system, put the latest version on, and yes that changes and becomes buggy and unstable….

So for a true test use slightly older versions and compare, and IMHO AB will come out on top, but if you need or want the app, then SM will…but for you guys who use all ZWO kit, then yes stick with ASIair…..I use all SX kit as I am strictly CCD, so no good for me…like you say horses for courses….👍🏼😀

• Like 1

I use Astroberry and Ekos. I’ve used Linux OS’s for ages and I am reasonably computer literate. I did get it all working quite nicely with an AZ-EQ5 and canon 600D plate solving the a local astronomy.net install and PHD guiding...

But I wouldn’t say it was completely straightforward- there’s quite a lot of ambiguity in the configuration and I had difficulty finding online tutorials that corresponded to the version of EKOS.

Once you get your head around it all it works fine, but I suspect the ASI air would be en easier starting point - and it looks like it should support all of your gear just now.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, catburglar said:

Once you get your head around it all it works fine, but I suspect the ASI air would be en easier starting point - and it looks like it should support all of your gear just now.

Yes trying to get my little brain around all this brilliant advice and information has blown my mind this weekend but I'm so glad I asked as it's helping me immensely, like @powerlordsaid it's horses for courses, much more research needed to decide, thank you once again all. YouTube here I come again haha 

Different and interesting points of view poured here, but all based in the same premise: try everything at your hand and choose the more convenient for you. 
One thing I’ve learned in my short life in this hobby (less than 6 months) is that there are as many different paths and learning curves as people on earth. 
I liked the quote “horses for courses”, but I’d add one I learned recently: YMMV. 

Edited by barbulo
  • Like 1

On 12/06/2021 at 11:32, Stuart1971 said:

So do you run the full OS on the indoor PI from an SSD or still run from an SD card…? Sorry am not as computer savy as some….☹️

The Pi runs from an SD card but the SSD's there for more space. I've set up both the Pis to avoid writing temporary files so the SD cards should live more or less forever!

On 13/06/2021 at 16:04, barbulo said:

Different and interesting points of view poured here, but all based in the same premise: try everything at your hand and choose the more convenient for you. 
One thing I’ve learned in my short life in this hobby (less than 6 months) is that there are as many different paths and learning curves as people on earth. 
I liked the quote “horses for courses”, but I’d add one I learned recently: YMMV. 

Absolutely - and try other things! I'd add to this that it's all great learning opportunities if you have the time, so you can try out a few things and see what works for you. I started out on Windows with Sharpcap and then SGP before I made the plunge into the Linux ecosystem - it's taken me about three years to settle down with what I'm using. There's absolutely no right answer for all this stuff.

• Like 2