SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Updating Synscan hand controller serial to USB cable

Hello,

A bit of a simple question I know but is the serial to USB cable required to update the Synscan hand controller the same as the EQDIR  Serial to USB cable or is it a different beast altogether?  I think the EQDIR one is connected differently but would appreciate confirmation from those who know these things please.

Chris

3 minutes ago, deafasabat said:

Hello,

A bit of a simple question I know but is the serial to USB cable required to update the Synscan hand controller the same as the EQDIR  Serial to USB cable or is it a different beast altogether?  I think the EQDIR one is connected differently but would appreciate confirmation from those who know these things please.

Chris

The supplied serial data cable can only be used for either updating firmware or controlling the mount from a laptop via the handset.  An EQDIR cable connects the mount directly to a pc, dispensing with the handset altogether.  They are not the same thing.

Thanks for the reply, I should really have known they are obviously different but on the day I sent the query I was up to my neck so to speak in different cables of one sort or another and completely confused myself.

21 hours ago, deafasabat said:

Hello,

Chris

NO !!!

If you use a standard USB to serial adapter between the mount and PC  you'll damage the synscan board.  An EQDIR cable is wired differently and operates at different voltages.

You can use a standard USB to serial adaptor with the supplied PC-DIRECT cable that has a telephone plug on one end and a D-type 9 pin plug on the other between a PC and the handset and then place the handset in PC-Direct mode to control the scope using GSServer or EQMOD.  If you want to replace the handset with a direct connection between the mount and PC then an FTDI based EQDIR cable form FLO or RVO (or any other leading astro kit supplier) is required.