Narrowband

Pls recommend a good set of 36mm LRGBSHO filters

oymd

20 minutes ago, oymd said:

So the set currently advertised on FLO is the newer version, but with older charts?

Can you please advise regarding the full Baader LRGBSHO set vs the ZWO?

The ZWO is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. Will I regret getting the ZWO?

I believe in "buy once, and cry once."

Obviously not Chroma or Astrodon buy once, cry once!!

🤪

If I need to go to the £1100 Astronomik set, I will go for that, but if the Baader set is decent, I will settle for it, even better if the ZWO will do the trick?

I think that the Baader lrgb are decent. I own Baader LRGB and Astrodon SHO. I would call the Baader 8.5nm OIII dated and it still gives reflections like pretty much anyone but AD and Chroma OIII. Baader are now bringing out a CMOS optimised SHO set that I would wait for it it was my choice. 

https://www.baader-planetarium.co.uk/shop/baader-lrgb-filtersets/

Edited by Adam J

5 minutes ago, Adam J said:

I think that the Baader lrgb are decent. I own Baader LRGB and Astrodon SHO. I would call the Baader 8.5nm OIII dated and it still gives reflections like pretty much anyone but AD and Chroma OIII. Baader are now bringing out a CMOS optimised SHO set that I would wait for it it was my choice. 

https://www.baader-planetarium.co.uk/shop/baader-lrgb-filtersets/

Oh, thats's very helpful Adam, thanks. I guess I will wait for those CMOS optimised SHOs.

BTW, the link you provided is for their LRGB filters.

12 minutes ago, oymd said:

Oh, thats's very helpful Adam, thanks. I guess I will wait for those CMOS optimised SHOs.

BTW, the link you provided is for their LRGB filters.

Here:

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/blog/new-baader-cmos-optimized-ultra-narrowband-and-highspeed-filters/

Make sure you order the correct set for your f-ratio. 

Edited by Adam J

8 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Excellent. Many thanks. These still seem to be in the pipeline. I will keep an eye out for them.

Last question please, sorry.

Is there a HUGE advantage in going with 3/4nm over the regular 6/7nm SHO filters? Surely they are better, but are they MUCH better for me to consider them, considering I am just starting out with mono?

2 minutes ago, oymd said:

Excellent. Many thanks. These still seem to be in the pipeline. I will keep an eye out for them.

Last question please, sorry.

Is there a HUGE advantage in going with 3/4nm over the regular 6/7nm SHO filters? Surely they are better, but are they MUCH better for me to consider them, considering I am just starting out with mono?

They are better by a factor of two in terms of light pollution and sky glow rejection. However they are not going to be double the value for money. If you want value for money go with the original SHO set and maybe upgrade the OIII to the new filters when they become available as OIII is going to show a bigger performance advantage than the SII and Ha filters. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adam J said:

They are better by a factor of two in terms of light pollution and sky glow rejection. However they are not going to be double the value for money. If you want value for money go with the original SHO set and maybe upgrade the OIII to the new filters when they become available as OIII is going to show a bigger performance advantage than the SII and Ha filters. 

Thanks Adam. You've been most helpful.

10 hours ago, oymd said:

36mm? 

I can see that they only offer a MOUNTED 36mm, as opposed to all others offering unmounted 36mm?

Does that have any impact on filterwheel choice?

I am planning to purchase the ZWO 7x36mm version 2 FW?

I'm using 1.25 with a starlight xpress filterwheel 

On 10/06/2021 at 22:22, oymd said:

Thanks Adam. You've been most helpful.

Take a look on FLOs site looks like the wait was very short and the new Baader filters are available in 3 different types, just go for the 6.5nm cmos optomised set and i suspect you will be sorted. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam J said:

Take a look on FLOs site looks like the wait was very short and the new Baader filters are available in 3 different types, just go for the 6.5nm cmos optomised set and i suspect you will be sorted. 

Thanks Adam

Not sure when they were in stock! They're all out of stock now?

:)

I have noticed that the new CMOS optimised Baader filters ALL show marketing for F/2?

And in the description it says:

6.5 nm FWHM, recommended for extremely fast optical systems from f/3.4 to f/1.8

Does that mean it would not be suitable with an Esprit 100 at f/5.5?

3 hours ago, oymd said:

Thanks Adam

I have noticed that the new CMOS optimised Baader filters ALL show marketing for F/2?

I’ve noticed a bit of mis-labelling on the FLO site and contacted them via email.  Seems ok now though.

The 6.5nm ones you are after are labelled for f3.5-f10 (although still incorrectly it also says 3.5-4.0nm in the text on the same advert)

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/narrowband/baader-narrow-band-filter-set-cmos-optimised.html

Baader isn’t dispatching then until July so don’t think they would have been in stock, just as a listing on the site  

Edited to add they are available in 4 different types:

B38D3921-4C79-4A65-AC4D-F7A0024F52A1.jpeg

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I’ve noticed a bit of mis-labelling on the FLO site and contacted them via email.  Seems ok now though.

The 6.5nm ones you are after are labelled for f3.5-f10 (although still incorrectly it also says 3.5-4.0nm in the text on the same advert)

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/narrowband/baader-narrow-band-filter-set-cmos-optimised.html

Baader isn’t dispatching then until July so don’t think they would have been in stock, just as a listing on the site  

Edited to add they are available in 4 different types:

B38D3921-4C79-4A65-AC4D-F7A0024F52A1.jpeg

I see, thanks for that.

I think once they ship and FLO gets them in stock, it will be clarified.

So, I'm after the 6.5nm NON f/2.

Just to understand at what price point they will be available in 36mm:

The 6.5nm CMOS optimised f/2 set 36mm are: £435

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-filters/baader-high-speed-65nm-narrow-band-filter-cmos-optimised.html

The 6.5nm CMOS optimised f/3.5 to f/10 are: £408

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-filters/baader-narrow-band-filter-set-cmos-optimised.html

It seems they will be 36mm MOUNTED, but not sure.

BTW, what sort of consequence does mounted vs unmounted have on a particular filter wheel?

I intend to use the Version 2 ZWO EFW, 7x36mm. I am not sure if it accepts mounted or unmounted 36mm filters, or both?

15 hours ago, oymd said:

Thanks Adam

There are two types at 6.5nm on says high speed the other not. 

If it's Astronomik, then because the glass is only 1 mm thick they mount them in a thin metal ring to bring the thickness up to a suitable depth for mounting, and to make them a little more robust.

1 hour ago, Adam J said:

I don't see where it says mounted? 

I am just going by the pics on FLO's website.

But regardless, just so I can understand this.

What are the consequences of buying mounted vs unmounted 36mm filters? Do they have an impact on EFW choice?

Say I purchase the v2 ZWO EFW, 7x36mm filter wheel. Will the filter wheel accept mounted AND unmounted 36mm filters?

Thanks

15 minutes ago, oymd said:

I am just going by the pics on FLO's website.

But regardless, just so I can understand this.

What are the consequences of buying mounted vs unmounted 36mm filters? Do they have an impact on EFW choice?

Say I purchase the v2 ZWO EFW, 7x36mm filter wheel. Will the filter wheel accept mounted AND unmounted 36mm filters?

Thanks

They look unmounted to me. The wheel will take either. Baader edge blacken their filters so they may look mounted. If people talk about mounted 36mm filters that can sometimes mean there is a aluminium Rig around the outer edge of the filter. But there are no threads and it will still fit in the EFW recess. You just have to be more careful when mounting unmounted filters when handling them or tightening them into the wheel with the masks. Hold on the edge with latex gloves and don't over tighten the retaining screws. Baader have an arrow on the side which tells you which way to point them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Adam J said:

They look unmounted to me. The wheel will take either. Baader edge blacken their filters so they may look mounted. If people talk about mounted 36mm filters that can sometimes mean there is a aluminium Rig around the outer edge of the filter. But there are no threads and it will still fit in the EFW recess. You just have to be more careful when mounting unmounted filters when handling them or tightening them into the wheel with the masks. Hold on the edge with latex gloves and don't over tighten the retaining screws. Baader have an arrow on the side which tells you which way to point them. 

Thanks Adam, very informative

I do not think you should go for an f/2 filter for your Esprit. They are meant for scopes like the RASA 8 and their peak transmission wavelength is shifted to accomodate that very sharp light cone of an f/2 scope. At least ask Baader or FLO about it.

28 minutes ago, gorann said:

I do not think you should go for an f/2 filter for your Esprit. They are meant for scopes like the RASA 8 and their peak transmission wavelength is shifted to accomodate that very sharp light cone of an f/2 scope. At least ask Baader or FLO about it.

As discussed above they have two types for each band pass 4nm /6.5nm. it's just a matter of getting the correct set for his f ratio. 

37 minutes ago, gorann said:

I dont think he was going for the F2 version though, he mentioned the NON F2 version above.

Baader have stated on their website that the F2 version arent suitable outside the recommended range F1.8-F3.5

1 hour ago, gorann said:

34 minutes ago, Adam J said:

As discussed above they have two types for each band pass 4nm /6.5nm. it's just a matter of getting the correct set for his f ratio. 

25 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I dont think he was going for the F2 version though, he mentioned the NON F2 version above.

Baader have stated on their website that the F2 version arent suitable outside the recommended range F1.8-F3.5

Exactly...I am planning to get the NON f/2 ones, which are meant for f/3.5 to f/10, 36mm 6.5nm set

• Like 1