Jump to content

30 secs banner.jpg

Pls recommend a good set of 36mm LRGBSHO filters


oymd
 Share

Recommended Posts

Evening everyone

im planning to take the plunge into mono AP. 

The scope is an Esprit 100ED. Current camera is the 294MC Pro. 
 

I’m planning to buy the 2600MM Pro, so will need 36mm unmounted filters. 
 

I’m not sure what set I should go with? Optolong, Baader, the newer ZWO?

I realise that experienced mono imagers go with 3nm SHO filters, but I think I will be happy with the 7nm/8.5nm variants as a newbie. 
 

With regards to LRGB, is there a huge quality difference between brands, as is the case with SHO? 
 

Also, if I get all 7 filters as a set, would they be all parfocal with regards to focus during an imaging session?

Many thanks

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, oymd said:

Evening everyone

im planning to take the plunge into mono AP. 

The scope is an Esprit 100ED. Current camera is the 294MC Pro. 
 

I’m planning to buy the 2600MM Pro, so will need 36mm unmounted filters. 
 

I’m not sure what set I should go with? Optolong, Baader, the newer ZWO?

I realise that experienced mono imagers go with 3nm SHO filters, but I think I will be happy with the 7nm/8.5nm variants as a newbie. 
 

With regards to LRGB, is there a huge quality difference between brands, as is the case with SHO? 
 

Also, if I get all 7 filters as a set, would they be all parfocal with regards to focus during an imaging session?

Many thanks

 

I use and can recommend the Baader LRGB set. They are completely parfocal with my Esprit 120, which is a real time saver as I still focus manually with a Bahtinov mask. Can’t comment on SHO yet as I don’t have a set, but I am planning on getting the new ultra narrowband 3.5/4nm filters when they are released. Baader claim they will also be parfocal, which would be fantastic.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Baader ones are good value for money, or at least they were a couple of years ago before Covid. I had an issue with halos on the Oiii but a replacement under warranty was perfect. Probably not perfectly parfocal though. The Astronomiks I have now are probably the best you can get before jumping to Chroma/A$trodon but they too are pricey above 1.25".

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, oymd said:

Evening everyone

im planning to take the plunge into mono AP. 

The scope is an Esprit 100ED. Current camera is the 294MC Pro. 
 

I’m planning to buy the 2600MM Pro, so will need 36mm unmounted filters. 
 

I’m not sure what set I should go with? Optolong, Baader, the newer ZWO?

I realise that experienced mono imagers go with 3nm SHO filters, but I think I will be happy with the 7nm/8.5nm variants as a newbie. 
 

With regards to LRGB, is there a huge quality difference between brands, as is the case with SHO? 
 

Also, if I get all 7 filters as a set, would they be all parfocal with regards to focus during an imaging session?

Many thanks

 

Don't go Optolong on an Esprit 100 the blue and lum are too wide to be fully corrected. Any of the others are narrower but I would say Astronomik if you can afford them or Baader. I say this as a Esprit 100 user. 

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems Baader has a good rep from the previous posts?

So, which Baader ones? are the LRGB 36mm a standard set, or are there different ones I should look out for?

With regards to SHO, I'll look out for the 7nm Halpha, and 8.5nm OIII & Sulphur, and keep my fingers crossed.

I've done some research on Astronomik, and it seems their OLD set go for good prices used? I think they are called 2C version? But then I read some posts to better stay away from the older versions?

What about Antlia at 365, or the NEWER ZWO offerings?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Baader are very good but they have a wider spectral window so might give bloat if your colour correction is less than perfect.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DaveS said:

image.png.9edc52bc8ca8cd0b5dcea18499df952f.png

The spectral range extends below 400 nm and above 700 nm

Thanks for that..

So are you saying that when I purchase an LRGB set, they should NOT cross the 400nm or 700nm limits?

Somewhere between say, 350nm and 650nm?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Baader would be fine if you have perfect, or near perfect colour correction (eg a Newt), but I would expect blue / red bloat with a less than perfectly corrected 'frac. In that case keep the spectral range more like 430-680 ish.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DaveS said:

And Astronomik. Note the Blue and Red cut-off points.

image.png.82164bb4879b2d2ad0785a8a44c283d7.png

Sorry, I am new to this.

What do you mean with the Blue/Green cutoff?

The B & G overlapping at 500nm is a GOOD or BAD thing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DaveS said:

The Baader would be fine if you have perfect, or near perfect colour correction (eg a Newt), but I would expect blue / red bloat with a less than perfectly corrected 'frac. In that case keep the spectral range more like 430-680 ish.

Oh, I see.

So a NARROWER range is better. I see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, that a GOOD thing to get [OIII] showing the "correct" teal colour,  I was referring to the Blue and Red limits at the extremes of the spectral range.

Edited by DaveS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see you're using an Esprit 100, which is a triplet apo, so the colour correction will be very good but not perfect. For that reason I'd be inclined to go with the Astronomik set with the L2 filter

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DaveS said:

The Baader would be fine if you have perfect, or near perfect colour correction (eg a Newt), but I would expect blue / red bloat with a less than perfectly corrected 'frac. In that case keep the spectral range more like 430-680 ish.

The Esprit 100 is fine for 400-680nm 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DaveS said:

I see you're using an Esprit 100, which is a triplet apo, so the colour correction will be very good but not perfect. For that reason I'd be inclined to go with the Astronomik set with the L2 filter

Baader lum pass is no wider than the L2 if you wanted narrower you would need L3. That Baader chart you posted earlier is in error as it the line for their IR cut filter not the UV/IR filter that is included in the modern set. 

If you look here they have the correct pass band for the UV/IR cut. As you see it's about 410nm. 

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/baader-uvir-cut--l-filter.html

The older version of the LRGB chart is the one you posted. 

There is a newer version of that chart knocking about. FLO have the old one on their site. 

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Then you'd better tell FLo as that's where I got it from.

If I went about correcting web pages I would do nothing else. ;)

But here is the correct chart, as you see the UV cut lacks the spike present below 380nm in the version you posted. 

https://www.baader-planetarium.co.uk/shop/baader-lrgb-filtersets/

The old Baader ir only cut was used in as L in the older chars are opposed to the UV/ir cut. Or at least that's as far as I can determine. 

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the replies.

So, let me make it easier for you to advise me on which set to order:

P.S. I will be starting out in Mono imaging, so NEWBIE alert! 

☺️

 

A- Baader LRGBSHO 36mm: £695

LRGB: £290, no idea what LRGBC is?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-filters/baader-lrgbc-ccd-filter-set.html

SHO 7nm/8.5nm: £135x3: £405

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-filters/baader_narrowband_36mm_filters.html

 

B- Optolong LRGBSHO 36mm:  £668

LRGB: £239

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/optolong-filters/optolong-lrgb-deep-sky-imaging-filters.html

SHO 7nm/8.5nm: £429

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/optolong-filters/optolong-sho-narrowband-deep-sky-imaging-filters.html

 

C- ZWO LRGBSHO 36mm: £516

LRGB: £175

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-filters/zwo-36mm-lrgb-filter-set-optimised-for-asi1600.html

SHO ALL 7nm: £147 x 3: £441

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-filters/zwo-36mm-ha-7nm-narrowband-filter.html

 

D- Antlia LRGB: £318

LRGB V series: £318

https://www.365astronomy.com/antlia-lrgb-v-series-astronomy-imaging-filters-36mm-unmounted?search=antlia

SHO only available in 3nm or 3.5nm, and very expensive for my budget.

 

E- Astronomik LRGB: £1142!!

LRGB Type 2c MOUNTED: £338 (I've read somewhere on CN that these have been replaced by newer better ones?)

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomik-filters/astronomik-l-rgb-typ-2c-colour-filter-set.html

SHO 6nm: £268 x 3: £804!!

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomik-filters/astronomik-h-alpha-6nm-narrowband-ccd-filter.html

 

Astronomik is WAY too expensive for me, and I am worried about the CHEAPEST option, the ZWO? The SHOs are all 7nm, instead of 8.5nm for OIII & S? Wouldn't that be a better option?

The Baader seems to have the middle ground in price, but their LRGB is pricey?

Many thanks!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

I use the astronomik lrgb and 6nm narrowband set... I've been more than happy with them so far... used with my esprit 80 and sct 

36mm? 

I can see that they only offer a MOUNTED 36mm, as opposed to all others offering unmounted 36mm?

Does that have any impact on filterwheel choice?

I am planning to purchase the ZWO 7x36mm version 2 FW?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Baader lum pass is no wider than the L2 if you wanted narrower you would need L3. That Baader chart you posted earlier is in error as it the line for their IR cut filter not the UV/IR filter that is included in the modern set. 

If you look here they have the correct pass band for the UV/IR cut. As you see it's about 410nm. 

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/baader-uvir-cut--l-filter.html

The older version of the LRGB chart is the one you posted. 

There is a newer version of that chart knocking about. FLO have the old one on their site. 

Old chart only, or are they selling the OLD set as well?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Adam J said:

If I went about correcting web pages I would do nothing else. ;)

But here is the correct chart, as you see the UV cut lacks the spike present below 380nm in the version you posted. 

https://www.baader-planetarium.co.uk/shop/baader-lrgb-filtersets/

The old Baader ir only cut was used in as L in the older chars are opposed to the UV/ir cut. Or at least that's as far as I can determine. 

So the set currently advertised on FLO is the newer version, but with older charts?

Can you please advise regarding the full Baader LRGBSHO set vs the ZWO?

The ZWO is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. Will I regret getting the ZWO?

I believe in "buy once, and cry once."

Obviously not Chroma or Astrodon buy once, cry once!!

🤪

If I need to go to the £1100 Astronomik set, I will go for that, but if the Baader set is decent, I will settle for it, even better if the ZWO will do the trick?

Edited by oymd
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.