SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sharpcap Solar image problems checkerboard quality

Using Sharpcap to record the sun ready for the eclipse as a first timer. I did a 3 minute avi clip, and a snapshot, both show that the image is 'pixelly' when you zoom in, like checkerboard patterns. I have included a picture and the Sharpcap settings file. I couldn't get Nina to get the right settings so i used this program instead. If anyone could help solve this problem before the eclipse that would be great Thanks, if not then i will know for next time whenever that may be.

Sun_00001.thumb.png.78fe71893236eba60c24aef2a31ba1bd.png

Sun_00001.CameraSettings.txt

Edited by Quetzalcoatl72

5 hours ago, Atreta said:

Hi, i think you have to debayer your image.

i did a little search and looks like the asi533mc pro uses rggb for its  bayer matrix.  have a look at this topic on sharpcap's  forum teaching how to debayer::  https://forums.sharpcap.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=254

hth

ah so its when processing the images not when capturing them, so i'm safe? i just need to debayer when finished

• Quetzalcoatl72 changed the title to Sharpcap Solar image problems checkerboard quality
On 10/06/2021 at 13:15, Atreta said:

Exactly :)

looking forward to see your images.

Here's a quick snapshot, i tried to stack the images together but it became glitchy, not sure what happened but it least its debayered. I was also worried about focus because theres no sun spots to test it on and the ed80 focuser is rubbish!

11_22_57_f009.jpg

Edited by Quetzalcoatl72

On 13/06/2021 at 22:59, Merlin66 said:

I use three ED80 ‘s for my solar imaging.!!!

The standard focuser is OK and with the addition of a belt driven SW motor to the 10:1 knob it’s even better.

What is the purpose of using 3? wouldnt buying a dedicated solar scope be cheaper instead?

They are all dedicated solar scopes!

All fitted with SW focus motors so they can be operated from within the office.

1. Fitted with a DIY CaK filter, x2 barlow and the ASI 1600

2. Fitted with a double stacked SM60 Ha, with SW motor tilt adjust, x 2.25 Hyperion barlow and ASI 174

3. Fitted with a Baader Cool wedge for white light and an ASI 1600

P1090813.JPG

P1090840.JPG

P1090890s.jpg

Sun_095026.jpg

Sun_101725ccc.jpg

Sun_094631.jpg

Edited by Merlin66
images added

4 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

They are all dedicated solar scopes!

All fitted with SW focus motors so they can be operated from within the office.

1. Fitted with a DIY CaK filter, x2 barlow and the ASI 1600

2. Fitted with a double stacked SM60 Ha, with SW motor tilt adjust, x 2.25 Hyperion barlow and ASI 174

3. Fitted with a Baader Cool wedge for white light and an ASI 1600

I see that that scope is a vixen not SW, I bet the focuser is much better, the sw80 I'm using slides out when when you tighten the screw, I do all my focusing manually. How did you get H-a with that?

The first image, an ED80 is one fitted with the external SM60 etalons for Ha and also the SW motor. No issues with focusing.

The last image is a recent acquisition, a Vixen Custom 80M. This replaced an ED80 for CaK imaging. The CaK filter really needs a >f10 input beam so this originally meant stopping the ED80 down to 60mm.

The Vixen is an f11.4 so ideal for CaK. I had to replace the Vixen focuser - it was only 1.25" and the CaK filter needed 2". The 2" GSO Crayford with SW motor works well.

This now gives me 80mm CaK capability.  The image shows AR 2833. The Vixen seems to be pretty good in the CaK wavelength.

(To improve the WL capability I actually now use the Genesis 100/500 with the Baader Cool wedge.)

Sun_090815.jpg

Edited by Merlin66
CaK image added
  • Like 2