SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter's return (hurrah!)

MarkRadice

Hurray! Jupiter is back.

Getting up early to observe our old friend Jupiter is always a pleasure - even if the alarm goes off at 0300. The seeing was pretty good despite the big fella's low altitude, the morning mist and the brightening sky.

The image below shows:

Great red spot exiting stage right

Shadow of Europa entering the left - although Europa is out of shot

2 dark barges in the NEB

The NEB has a darker central band

The SEB is fading and now appears very pale. 

I took a number of video files from 0249Z to 0328Z although only two were notably sharp due to seeing & mist using ASI224MC through C11 with ADC. Best two were derotated in winjupos (having been stacked and sharpened). 

Wishing you clear skies!

20210609 Jupiter copy.jpg

Edited by MarkRadice
typo
  • Like 15

20 minutes ago, MarkRadice said:

Hurray! Jupiter is back.

Getting up early to observe our old friend Jupiter is always a pleasure - even if the alarm goes off at 0300. The seeing was pretty good despite the big fella's low altitude, the morning mist and the brightening sky.

The image below shows:

Great red spot exiting stage right

Shadow of Europa entering the left - although Europa is out of shot

2 dark barges in the NEB

The NEB has a darker central band

The SEB is fading and now appears very pale. 

I took a number of video files from 0249Z to 0328Z although only two were notably sharp due to seeing & mist using ASI224MC through C11 with ADC. Best two were derotated in winjupos (having been stacked and sharpened). 

Wishing you clear skies!

20210609 Jupiter copy.jpg

Great to see more people from the UK trying Jupiter. And a good result too Mark well done 

Very nice shot, loads of details to see there. Did you get Saturn too? She is looking beautiful with her blue S pole on show.

Forecast is looking good for the weekend so tempted to set myself a 3am alarm too. Tried it last weekend but seeing high cloud when I stuck my head out the window meant I went straight back to sleep 💤

Lovely shot @MarkRadice. Nice to see some barges around, somehow they seemed to have been a little sparse last time around. Must make an effort to catch it early one morning, rather than waiting for opposition.

1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

Did you get Saturn too?

Alas no! Saturn is behind a tree from my “low planet observing spot”.  Like you, I am tempted to burn the midnight and early morning oil on Saturn and then Jove over the weekend. I am, though, having my second COVID jab so I hope I am not shaking too much I can’t get some observing in. 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Must make an effort to catch it early one morning,

Go for it, old chap. 

As for the barges, they are really prominent. I knew the europa shadow transit was due to get underway during my planned observing slot and at first mistook the dark barge for the shadow. 

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Nice job @MarkRadice 👍🏻

Gracias el presidente (former). That means a lot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MarkRadice said:

Go for it, old chap. 

As for the barges, they are really prominent. I knew the europa shadow transit was due to get underway during my planned observing slot and at first mistook the dark barge for the shadow. 

Thank you sir, I may well do that.

I do enjoy a good barge, so it’s good to hear there are some prominent ones around. Thanks!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

I do enjoy a good barge, so it’s good to hear there are some prominent ones around. Thanks!

Me too. They have been rather scarce on the giant planet of late so it is good to hear that some are showing again.

Nice image Mark :thumbright:

Very nice image! 

The only thing worse than the 3am alarm clock is a 2am one! Three days a week I get up then for work. 

Now my internal clock goes off just before 2am! Every day!

But yes, when its clear it makes for good viewing!

• Like 1

Thank you for all kind comments!  I had another go this morning - despite still having the shakes from my covid jab.  

As for waking one's partner, I did drop my camera once which resulted in gentle (I thought) foul language.  The following morning my neighbour popped round to check all was well. He, unfortunately, spoke to my wife so I was in double trouble for i) disturbing the neighbours in the small hours and ii) nearly breaking my new camera!

2021_06_1_0233 Radice Jupiter and Io.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...