Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 250mm Newt focuser choices

As I can't use my 250mm just yet, so I didn't see any urgency in replacing the supplied single speed focuser. I was going to put a Moonlite on. Sadly, Moonlite have withdrawn from the manual focuser market and their focusers are no longer available. I left it too late!

So, what do I do now? The standard focuser isn't good enough. I need dual speed with a bit more quality. What are the choices? What are you using? Is the Skywatcher dual speed good enough? Any input would be gratefully received.

I have used a few of the SW single and dual speed focussers. For the money, I think they are OK.
Often they benefit from a bit of dismantling and adjusting.
That was the case with the 2 speed on the 250 flextube I sold recently.

If you are going to hang ordinary eyepieces on there, they will be OK.
However, a barlow & binoviewer with heavy eyepieces installed is a different matter.

Definitely not in the Moonlite or Baader Steeltrack category. But you can buy a scope for the cost of a 'posh' focusser.

If it was my scope, I would key an eye on the sale section for a used 2 speed. Maybe even a complete scope with 'less than perfect' glass.

HTH, David.

The skywatcher native focuser with Lacerta dual-speed upgrade is very good, I used one for a while. I’m not sure if they do them anymore though.

I upgraded that to baader diamond steel track, which I now have on 2 newts, plus also an SCT one. Very nice.

Magnus

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

What worries me about the Baader is the demo shows drilling holes in the tube. I'm not drilling my new tube!

Ah yes I’d forgotten about those extra holes I had to drill. Baader’s instructions specifically state that the mounting plate matches existing SW holes, but they lie.

If a budget is available i would go for a starlight focuser.  Maybe the 2”?   I think compared to a moonlite, it doesnt cost that much more, but a moonlight is actually nothing but an initial smooth crayford that cannot hold smoothness forever.  Plus, if available, the starlight r&p is much more secure, wont slip etc.  

Edited by Robindonne

My experience of the skywatcher dual speed focusers isn't great, maybe good enough for visual but they have a lot of slop / sag in the drawtube.

Moonlite Crayfords are again okay for visual, but repeatability when autofocusing just isn't good enough, they slip.

Baader Steeltrack are cracking focusers, I'd rather drill new mounting holes than have to make do with a mediocre focuser that fits the existing holes.

Edited by Starflyer

On 09/06/2021 at 16:57, Mr Spock said:

As I can't use my 250mm just yet, so I didn't see any urgency in replacing the supplied single speed focuser. I was going to put a Moonlite on. Sadly, Moonlite have withdrawn from the manual focuser market and their focusers are no longer available. I left it too late!

So, what do I do now? The standard focuser isn't good enough. I need dual speed with a bit more quality. What are the choices? What are you using? Is the Skywatcher dual speed good enough? Any input would be gratefully received

The 1.25" TS Optics single speed focuser I fitted to a Star Discovery 150i felt very well built and worked well.

There is a dual speed 2" Crayford available for a competitive price.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p780_TS-Optics-2--Dual-Speed-Crayford-Focuser-for-Newtonian-Telescopes.html

There's several others also on the site. It may be worth a look.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet

On 12/06/2021 at 13:35, tooth_dr said:

I found my dual speed focuser on my SW250 very adequate for astrophotography.

I found mine took a little adjustment to stop it slipping, but once I got it right, it's been fine. I use a focus motor that can move to absolute positions and I don't think there's been any appreciable slip in 6 months, based on the focus positions.

I think it's common to drill a 3rd hole to ensure a tight grip on the camera, but otherwise I don't think there's much play. It's entirely possible I wouldn't notice though! 

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go. Job's a good 'un as they say. A nice smooth focussing action. Took less than ten minutes to install. Highly recommended. Only took four days to arrive from Astroshop EU too, with no hidden charges, VAT, duty etc. Nice!

1044940987_IMG_0542_DxO1200.jpg.1b53b2ce5daca089737c8d4c23246fe7.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...