Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Higher accuracy Polar alignment with Solar shadow calibration (iOS)

ecuador

Just in time for the eclipse, I released an update to PS Align Pro, that allows you to use the Sun's shadow to calibrate your compass, for a more accurate alignment using the daytime alignment tool:

IMG_0019.PNG.bd2b5e060b79e3136cc1835d11c0ee38.PNG IMG_0020.PNG.8e4a339cae6997aad048263c660a4db6.PNG

In my tests it works quite well, after using it even my goto worked (from the previous night's alignment) to get the sun in the FoV!

Sorry, haven't managed Android yet, so it is still just iOS. If you're at Heaton Park, Manchester for the Eclipse though and you don't have an iPhone, I'll help you out set up.

Sadly, it does not work when it's cloudy, and Manchester is currently expected to be cloudy. Even more sadly, solar eclipses don't work well with clouds either. It was the case back in 2015 with the eclipse - we still had fun though!

Edited by ecuador
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

Ecuador,

Does this work for Southern Hemisphere?

It *should*, but I did not get any report from my Southern Hemisphere beta testers, so can't be absolutely sure I did not bungle something up. If someone does try it and sees an issue, it would be addressed quickly.

@ecuador

I don't know if this feature request has been discussed, but if the phone could be attached to the polar scope could it not do plate solving?

In this way you would not care about the interference to the phones compasses etc?

I think that some of the Celestron apps can do this to guide observers around the sky.

Best wishes,

Martin

1 hour ago, Deadlake said:

@ecuador

I don't know if this feature request has been discussed, but if the phone could be attached to the polar scope could it not do plate solving?

In this way you would not care about the interference to the phones compasses etc?

I think that some of the Celestron apps can do this to guide observers around the sky.

Best wishes,

Martin

You are referring to something like iPolar - i.e. using a camera on a polar scope. This is not at all what we are discussing, it is for daytime alignment. There are no stars (and no polar scope used), there is just the Sun. And I am trying to take advantage of the Sun being up to calibrate the compass.

FYI, the beta program is open to all, the more people with access to betas the more likely new features will be tested (e.g. I have a couple of Southern Hemisphere testers, but they possibly don't need daytime alignment). Anybody interested with an iOS 13 device (limitation of Apple's beta system - the app itself runs even on iOS 9), can just PM me an email to send an invite to.