SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Scorpius And Ophiuchus

Epick Crom

Hi my fellow stargazers! Following heavy rains, the sky was nice, clear and darkish ( well as dark as can be from the suburbs). Ideal for exploring two beautiful constellations, Scorpius and Ophiuchus! The following observations were carried out using my 10" dobsonian:

SCORPIUS:

M4: Fully resolved to the core. Unique bar of stars running across the core.

Antares: Split at 343x. Stunning double, vivid orange and green colours.

M80: Tight, small globular. Bright dense mottled core!

Jabbah: Lovely double star, seperated by 2.4 "

NGC 6124: Scattered open cluster with several red members. Nice.

M7: Wow! A riot of bright stars in mesmerising configurations. Spotted the very faint planetary Cannon 2-1 within this cluster. At mag 12.1 this is the faintest object I have seen so far.

NGC 6388: Impressive globular close to Sargas. Bright and tight!

NGC 6302. Bug Nebula. Bipolar planetary nebula, faint reddish colour, showing elongated shape. I enjoyed observing this one!

M6 : Butterfly cluster. Delightful cluster, looked great at low power.

NGC 6268: Loved this open cluster, it has an almost 3D appearance.

NGC 6441: This small globular is set in a lovely field, with a bright yellow 3rd magnitude star very close by. Picture perfect!

NGC 6231: Located in the" Table of Scorpius" region, this remarkable open cluster glittered like diamonds on black velvet. This kept me hypnotized for quite some time!

OPHIUCHUS:

M19: Large and bright globular, resolved almost to the core!

IC 4604: Bright nebulosity surrounding the amazing triple star Rho Ophiuchi. Both the nebula and triple star were breathtaking to see.

M107: Very loose globular, resembling a rich open cluster. Fully resolved.

M10: Firecracker of a globular, many tiny points of light seen here around this nice cluster.

36 Ophiuchi: Evenly matched double star. Both components a glorious orange colour.

NGC 6369: I struggled to locate this one but got it in the end. Faint planetary, only just glimpsed using 343x.

Omicron Ophiuchi: A hidden gem I reckon, orange and blue components, breathtaking!

Thoroughly enjoyed this session. Astronomy is so addictive, can't wait to do it all again next clear night! Clear skies to you all!

Joe

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Roy Challen said:

Cracking list, Joe. Sounds like you had a good time! 

Thanks Roy. Yeah, I had a great time, it was one of those nights that you don't want to come to an end!

Excellent report Joe and quite a list you managed! Due to my location I cannot see much below Alniyat at Scorpii so it is good to read what others can see below that point; I am jealous of several of your targets. For the IC 4604, did you observe any colour; in my eyes it had a yellowish hue. Next time have a go at IC 4592; it must look awesome in your 10" (in my 8" Dob it had a nice blue colour as of course the name suggests but rather diffuse without much structure to it). Well done on your Mag 12.1 planetary! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Woah! That is some list, at first I thought "How has he managed all this with the lack of current night time", then I saw, Oz! Jealous! Looks like you had a great time!

Grant

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Grant93 said:

Woah! That is some list, at first I thought "How has he managed all this with the lack of current night time", then I saw, Oz! Jealous! Looks like you had a great time!

Grant

Thanks Grant. Yeah I think I am the lone Aussie on this forum 😂

• Haha 1