Narrowband

Ritchey Chretien Scopes

26 minutes ago, johninderby said:

But it’s not based in the UK despite the misleading name of the website and all stock is held in their warehouse in the Netherlands. They say prices do include import fees but shipping is £29.00 for economy and £45.00 for expedited. Big concern is if you needed to return the scope if defective and what it would cost.

Ah

that is misleading as you say - I’ll flag that site on my supplier list accordinglyyu.

3 minutes ago, woodblock said:

I see. The website for uk.telescope.com is offering the orion RC telescope at £966 wherever it's shipped from but I see that the expected deliver date is October 2021. FLO are offering what I think is an identical scope at £999 but is out of stock so probably all this is a bit academic.

I just wanted to establish that it is the same scope made in the same factory so quality should be the same. Basically there would be no point in picking one of them over the other except for reasons of price or delivery.

Thanks everyone. I think we've done that to death now.

Cheers

Steve

I ordered the 8” F8 StellaLyra in mid March.

I understand that it is now currently halfway between Malaysia and Sri Lanka heading towards the Suez Canal and accept a global pandemic will impact delivery so not worried it will get here. C’est la vie as they say somewhere.

So, should be in stock in a few weeks.

TBH, if its what you are looking for, I’d definitely order from @FLO; their support is more than excellent. Nothing is perfect, but they come damn close.

16 minutes ago, iapa said:

Ah

that is misleading as you say - I’ll flag that site on my supplier list accordinglyyu.

I think that while they would certainly supply the scope at the listed price the costs involved if it needed to be returned to them are a big concern. Now of they had a UK address for returns so you could avoid the hassle of shipping back to the EU in case of warrantee issues that would give a lot of reassurance. 🤔

9 hours ago, iapa said:

I ordered the 8” F8 StellaLyra in mid March.

I understand that it is now currently halfway between Malaysia and Sri Lanka heading towards the Suez Canal and accept a global pandemic will impact delivery so not worried it will get here. C’est la vie as they say somewhere.

So, should be in stock in a few weeks.

TBH, if its what you are looking for, I’d definitely order from @FLO; their support is more than excellent. Nothing is perfect, but they come damn close.

Just a quick question. I've been looking at various videos about how to collimate an RC scope which I understand is important. Most of the videos recommend various gadgets to assist and these come to a significant cost. I wondered if you'd looked into it and had ordered any of these gadgets or are you going to wait till you get it?

Steve

14 hours ago, iapa said:

Didn’t mention that as Dall-Kirkham is slightly different in design to the Ritchey-Chretien.

Agree on the watery-eye syndrome.

But, hey, would you get one if you just won £100m+ on the lottery?. Only under 30s need apply image.png.c06b5d0564d6a7fe78c582a12b4b8a5c.png

No.

Olly

11 hours ago, Deadlake said:

GSO has a machine for producing mirrors by which all accounts is very good. They supply mirrors to other vendors such as ASA (very high quality)  and CFF as well.

ASA make their own optics, up to 2 metre class.

20 hours ago, iapa said:

Didn’t mention that as Dall-Kirkham is slightly different in design to the Ritchey-Chretien.

Agree on the watery-eye syndrome.

But, hey, would you get one if you just won £100m+ on the lottery?. Only under 30s need apply image.png.c06b5d0564d6a7fe78c582a12b4b8a5c.png

This might be rather nice if you had a spare million or sso kicking around.

13 minutes ago, DaveS said:

This might be rather nice if you had a spare million or sso kicking around.

Dunno, image.png.cafa3c25a7655c25776883f7d99647da.pngnever been a fan of open truss. Seems to be lacking support. 

Edited by iapa

12 hours ago, woodblock said:

Just a quick question. I've been looking at various videos about how to collimate an RC scope which I understand is important. Most of the videos recommend various gadgets to assist and these come to a significant cost. I wondered if you'd looked into it and had ordered any of these gadgets or are you going to wait till you get it?

I got the StellaLyra RC8 a few months ago. It was actually pretty good out of the factory but the collimation is out slightly and it does show on some photo's. So far I have not touched it - largely down to the horror stories regarding collimation. I have ordered one of the REEGO type collimators as I want a better alignment of the optical and mechanical axis. I am hoping this plus some additional adjustment using the DSI procedure will give good results. Unfortunately due to the current supply problems I am still waiting for it. It seems daft to spend nearly as much on collimation equipment as the scope itself. I have also ordered a SteelTrack focuser and M90 tilt adjustment ring. The stock focuser is OK but not brilliant.

I also have a supply of paracetamol for when I start banging my head on the wall in frustration!! 🤣

The manual for the Orion version has some usefull info including collimating instructions.

https://www.telescope.com/assets/product_files/instructions/29361_09-09.pdf

The Baader Steeltrack RT focuser is a great upgrade for the scope. The original version of the Steeltrack will fit to the 8” scope without any spacer sections whereas the newer Diamond Steeltrack has a slightly longer drawtube and will need a spacer.

I have been curious about the REEGO colimator although not really needed for the CC scope.

Edited by johninderby