Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Partial Eclipse

wookie1965

Despite my interest in photography,  I've never taken a pic before through a telescope ... because I have high standards which I couldn't afford to live up to ... but as I was  occupying myself in the long waits between thin cloud patches by taking pic.s of birds & bees in the garden, I had a camera to hand, so ... first ever  attempt at eyepiece projection ( F15rules, that 40mm plossl came in very handy for this, thanks !) and a couple of cloudy souvenir snaps :

bite.jpg.06679d97c384d77586cf213853fbc7fd.jpg  nearly finished ...thereitgoes.jpg.b3de1bf5799b552596786acd52bbe376.jpg very nearly finished !

Heather

• Like 14

When I got out of bed this morning and looked at the sky, I was pretty peeved but, I set up anyway just in case. 

As reported earlier, I got the break I was looking for and managed visual on first contact, a bit of imaging with the ASI290MC and Sony a6300, then went back to visual for last contact.

I have seen partials before though this is the very first time through optics. It was a wonderous sight. Viewing limb topography silhouetted against the solar disc, a bit of sunspot activity and actually appreciating the odd passing cloud which added quite a bit of drama to the view. I am glad I set up.

To those of you who tried but were clouded out, I express my sympathies. An eclipse is a natural wonder.

To those who dared and won, Chapeau! Some very nice images on this thread, rushed or not- every one worth it.

• Like 7

It was cloudy here (home) before I left for LHR (work) and not worth the hassle and effort to setup a ‘scope and tripod, etc, as the solar/lunar discs were covered by passing clouds.

Managed to capture the image below with my Thousand Oaks type 2+ glass solar filter covering my iPhone 12 camera, (all handheld), after a gap in the clouds and the eclipse had ended and more passing cloud. :clouds1::cussing:

A2FAD0A0-6645-4924-8711-242C9DAD6008.thumb.jpeg.9339401be3df79e65e9ba6a4299bd245.jpeg

2 hours ago, Highburymark said:

The peaks and troughs of the Moon’s surface are very clear even at 60-70x - particularly in the area of widest contact

Yes, I was really surprised how clearly you could see that. Just about visible here but much clearer visually.

36B5DA2A-BFB7-4134-8DC9-0D759774C354.jpeg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, AdeKing said:

Managed a very quick glimpse through the TAL100RS and Baader Ceramic Wedge just before 11:00.

Poor mobile image below.  Glad I got to see something though.

IMG_20210610_123808.thumb.jpg.30e054d0e1d54a3848235d417a9d8d99.jpg

Was that on the Ioptron AZ Pro with the Tal? 

• Like 1

Set up at 7.15 as sunshine outside. 

Went with TV85 and Baader set up. 

As expected it turned cloudy but enough patches to allow some good viewing. Actually sorry I didn’t set up the Lunt but as a working morning I didn’t have the time to devote. 

Was interesting to see the eclipse almost eating into the sunspot. A colleague described it as Pac-Man. 

Got a few iPhone 12 pics. 

AFBF95F6-983E-4396-9558-5CE8672553D6.jpeg

BD8B6A3A-D243-478A-8207-E70E1401BC87.jpeg

17FF2B11-B24E-4344-81CA-B45D724BE24B.jpeg

9F176748-4DFD-4EB8-897C-34769B53A970.jpeg

• Like 8

This thread has it all; dreadful gloom, excitement, joy and disappointment... I'm exhausted reading it through. 😉

To those who missed it, I feel your pain. That was a close call for a few of us it seems. For those who caught the event and even managed some special images. Congrats. 

I can imagine Patrick Moore's excited commentary now, "Here it is", "No it isn't", "Ah yes, yes it's... no.", "Finally, a wonderfully silhouetted lunar li... no it's gone again.", "Well viewers that's British astronomy for you.", "Great fun isn't it!".

🧐👍

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Paul M said:

At least the Moon didn't interfere with this astronomical event. Bit of a coincidence, New Moon coinciding exactly with the eclipse....

Sure it wasn't the super giant power flower blood eclipse moon? 😂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stu said:

Yes, I was really surprised how clearly you could see that. Just about visible here but much clearer visually.

36B5DA2A-BFB7-4134-8DC9-0D759774C354.jpeg

I thought at first the view trough my scope was just suffering from heat haze, but after studying closely I also came to the conclusion that it must be the craters and valleys of the moon. Glad I wasn't imagining it! 

Edited by badhex
imagining, not imaging!
  • Like 1

Hi all

Lovely and sunny now😡

I sat through it all ready to go but only got about two minuets through fast moving cloud, I took several captures but only one would stack because of the cloud and I didn't think it would work but I got this below😲😃 very pleased.

In one way the moving thin cloud made it all look more real through the eyepiece, am I being to positive?

Hope you like

Taken with a Daystar SS60-DS sopped down to 30mm to give f35 ish , and a ZWO ASI174MM with a 0.5 reducer, piggy backed on my main scope that I was using for visual white light.

Cheers Rod

Eclipse 10-6-2021 10-36am Rod Tippett.jpg

• Like 18

8 minutes ago, mdstuart said:

Here is my image from Thornbury  near Bristol.

20210610_114425.thumb.jpg.efa466d95688a75e1f7e883ff52e9535.jpg

Well done Mark.

We were walking down at Sand Point this morning and didn't get a break in the clouds until around 1:00 pm so missed the show this time around :rolleyes2:

• Sad 1

Here in Denmark the weather was perfectly clear for first contact but quickly got cloudy about 30-40 minutes into the eclipse. A great experience nonetheless and we were able to have some peeks at the eclipse through the high cloud layer.

Ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse.

I brought my quark and two refractors. Being the only H-alpha telescope/setup it certainly caught some interest compared to the regular white light view. Many people were amazed with the fine filaments on the disk and the large prominence on the south-eastern part of the disk. My setup is the one on the right:thumbright:

Being my first solar eclipse I have ever observed I'm quite happy, but I feel the urge to experience a total eclipse!

• Like 10

Despite 100% overcast at 9am, by the time the eclipse started patches of thinner cloud revealed the eclipse.  Varying cloud density and occasional clear patches allowed a view of the entire sequence both visually and via camera images displayed on a large screen.  Interestingly, at times the image was too bright for comfortable naked eye  but not bright enough to penetrate eclipse "glasses".  Telescopes in use were a Vixen FL102 with Lunt wedge and a SW150ED with full aperture Baader film filter.   😎

• Like 4

9 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Not poor at all Ade! Great sharply defined edge of the moon👍☺️.

Look what appeared here at 12.22pm..yep, todays first sight of blue sky..about 15 minutes too late!!

Time for another Latte...

IMG_20210610_122248278_HDR_copy_750x1000.jpg

Thanks Dave, now I've looked at it on the laptop it looks better than I initially thought.

9 hours ago, Saganite said:

Yes, I have to agree Ade it is poor......NOT..:grin:

Thanks Steve, now I've seen it on the laptop screen it looks a better image than I initially gave it credit for.

7 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Was that on the Ioptron AZ Pro with the Tal? 

Hi Paul, unfortunately not, the forecast was so bad that I didn't bother to set anything up and only just had time to power up the GPD2 attach the TAL and slew to the Sun.

It will try the TAL on the AZPro on the next clear night though, I promise.

Ade

• Like 1

Weather in eastern Germany was quite nice. At first contact it was very clear. Some steady moments during the eclips provided some very detailed view of the edge of the moon and said craterlets, cool! The two groups of sun spots were prominent as was the very granular surface of the sun. 

I do have an EMC solar foil front filter and find the contrast lacking due to stray light, that is very evident when some wind hits the foil. The movement of the foil is clearly seen in brightness fluctuation over the whole view. I wonder if a Herschel wedge will provide better contrast 🤓

• Like 2